xs1100 coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there DEmily,

Well, yes, the valve oil seal could have gotten bad and started leaking, allowing the oil to drip from the topend cam area, down the valve, the Valve guide may be keeping much of it from getting into the cylinder, and since it's the exhaust valve, it's closed during intake cycle, so it's only open on exhaust cycle, and that's when the air is coming out of the cylinder, hence, blowing it out into the pipe!! The seals are about $8.00 or so each, but it can be difficult to pull the old one and replace it without pulling the head, cause you have to pull the Cams, Lifter, valve spring keepers, springs and such out to get access to it, and you have to have a way of keeping the valve pushed up against the head to replace the keepers.

So....you could try some of that oil rubber seal conditioner stuff, but not sure how it would affect the clutch, or you can just live with it, and check your oil a little more often until the engine gets much more wear before you need to break it down!?
    HTH.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks Topcat,
      The seals, valves, in fact everything is new. Something mush have gone wrong. I'll just go ahead and pull the head and look everything over. By the way, I read in another posting that the piston rings for the xs11 could be obtained from perfect circle or hastings. I paid a pretty penny for my Yamaha. So how do you get them from Hastings or perfect circle? Do they just cross reference the dimensions of the rings or do they list them as rings for the xs11?
      79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
      80 XS650 Special
      85 KAW 454 LTD
      Dirty Dan

Comment

Hey Demily, what's the oil level set at? It's possibly just an overfull crankcase.

Comment

Pgg,

I thought the same possibilty. The oil level was between the two marks in the oil window. I have never seen anything like it. The darn thing runs like a champ, but it's spitting out oil like mad. I suppose I could have damaged the valve seals when putting them in. I prelubed everything. I am out of ideas. I guess this weekend I'll have to pull the head back off and see what I have.
          79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
          80 XS650 Special
          85 KAW 454 LTD
          Dirty Dan

Comment

Is the oil level between the two marks when the bike is on the sidestand or when the bike is on the centrestand?
            Ken Talbot

Comment

The oil level was check on the center stand.
              79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
              80 XS650 Special
              85 KAW 454 LTD
              Dirty Dan

Comment

Crankcase breather hose?

Comment

Pgg,

The Crank case vent is connected to a hose with filter on it, as I am no longer using the air box. No blow by from the crank case vent.
                  79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
                  80 XS650 Special
                  85 KAW 454 LTD
                  Dirty Dan

Comment

Demily,

I think what ppg is referring to is that you may have a blocked breather hose or passage that is causing a buildup of pressure in the crankcase. During the power stroke of each cylinder, some of the high pressure combustion gases blows past the rings into the crankcase. The breather hose allows the pressure to bleed out of the engine into the airbox where it is re-mixed with intake air and burned on the next intake cycle.

If the hose or passage is blocked, excess pressure may build up inside the crankcase and blow oil out of the weakest seal it can find. In your case, it may be the valve seals.

Randy

Comment

That sounds like a place to look. I do recall some pressure coming from the crank case vetalation, but I will check it again. It is only blowing out of cylinder #1, But the exhaust valce seal could be the weakest seal. I'll check it out. Thanks
                      79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
                      80 XS650 Special
                      85 KAW 454 LTD
                      Dirty Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X