Ride-On sealer/balancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride-On sealer/balancer

Anyone use this? does it work to balance tire as well as seal?

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/353-...en=16628816317
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

I plan on using it when I switch to my new rims. I shaved off the center ridge so there is no longer a place to clip weights.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I put this in the front and back last year when I installed new tires. Not a wobble to be had. Haven't run over any nails so I can't speak for the sealing properties.
      1980 XS 1100 Special
      Mostly stock & original
      Added Yamaha fairing (w/ 8-track!)
      Torpedo bags
      New paint (still) pending
      Stainless brake lines
      Tkat forkbrace
      Coils from Honda 1000

Previous bikes:
      1968(?) 350 Harley Davidson
      1977 Yamaha 650

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
        Anyone use this? does it work to balance tire as well as seal?

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/353-...en=16628816317
        It's been around now for a few years. Alot of bike shops have gone to this, and at a tire change just wipes clean. Seen it tested at a local shop a couple years ago. They pounded short nails in a 2x6 for the length of board(approx. 10ft.), rode across board and nails and once off board, checked tire pressure and found to loose only 2lbs. of air in each tire! Impressed theem enough to buy a 5gal. supply. I have it in the tires that are on my Honda ST, since it is my LD touring scoot. Balances the rolling tires also and does a damn good job of it......smooth as silk. For personnel use, it IS an expensive option though. My 5th wheel travel trailer has a similar performing product in the two new front axle tires I replaced. Didn't request it, but that's what this particular tire shop used, as they deal specificly with large trucks all the way down to a wheel barrow tire. Was told that this particular product not only balances the tire but reduces heat build-up. After a two-hundred+ mile haul to the DurangoRally couple years ago with the second trailer attached to haul the XS, immediatly got out and felt tires on front axle compared to rear axle of the 5th wheel. Was impressed as to the heat difference between the two. Maybe Diver Ray will chime in as he had an issue with the auto pressure checkers or whatever they are on his Beemer using Ride-On. Guess they got plugged up and kinda mal-functioned. My ST has 'run-flat' radials(they do work), but the rear I had already put a plug in once removed and replaced with a new tire. Wore that one out but the removed one still had some 5+K of use left, so it got mounted using RideOn for extra insurance in order to get full use of the tire. Have had no issues and one longer ride last fall over to Denver visiting CaptionZap,(650mi. round trip) with constant 80-85mph slab speeds. Hope that is of some help experienceing the product. Here this spring, having to replace both the Venturer's tires, plan on having RideOn put in the new Conti Go' tires that will be on it for a little extra insurance, since it will roll on a couple 2-500mile runs one way.
        Last edited by motoman; 03-11-2013, 08:42 PM.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks to all

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          It's been around now for a few years. Alot of bike shops have gone to this, and at a tire change just wipes clean. Seen it tested at a local shop a couple years ago. They pounded short nails in a 2x6 for the length of board(approx. 10ft.), rode across board and nails and once off board, checked tire pressure and found to loose only 2lbs. of air in each tire! Impressed theem enough to buy a 5gal. supply. I have it in the tires that are on my Honda ST, since it is my LD touring scoot. Balances the rolling tires also and does a damn good job of it......smooth as silk. For personnel use, it IS an expensive option though. My 5th wheel travel trailer has a similar performing product in the two new front axle tires I replaced. Didn't request it, but that's what this particular tire shop used, as they deal specificly with large trucks all the way down to a wheel barrow tire. Was told that this particular product not only balances the tire but reduces heat build-up. After a two-hundred+ mile haul to the DurangoRally couple years ago with the second trailer attached to haul the XS, immediatly got out and felt tires on front axle compared to rear axle of the 5th wheel. Was impressed as to the heat difference between the two. Maybe Diver Ray will chime in as he had an issue with the auto pressure checkers or whatever they are on his Beemer using Ride-On. Guess they got plugged up and kinda mal-functioned. My ST has 'run-flat' radials(they do work), but the rear I had already put a plug in once removed and replaced with a new tire. Wore that one out but the removed one still had some 5+K of use left, so it got mounted using RideOn for extra insurance in order to get full use of the tire. Have had no issues and one longer ride last fall over to Denver visiting CaptionZap,(650mi. round trip) with constant 80-85mph slab speeds. Hope that is of some help experienceing the product. Here this spring, having to replace both the Venturer's tires, plan on having RideOn put in the new Conti Go' tires that will be on it for a little extra insurance, since it will roll on a couple 2-500mile runs one way.
          Thanks! sounds like I will try it, I like the auto balance thing, and not walking if you hit a nail on a ride. I have the run flats on my Jaguar because someone knifed the $400.00 each conti's I had on it at the apartment complex They ride like S#!T and I hate them, will replace as soon as I can, might use good tires with sealer / balancer inside, thanks
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

The product DOES WORK, but as motorman stated, the BMW pressure sensor does NOT like it! It's going to cost me $225 to replace the sensors, so I will NOT be using it again soon. I WILL be using it in the Midnight the next time I put tires in. That will be next year, as the tires are getting old, but not worn.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

$$

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              The product DOES WORK, but as motorman stated, the BMW pressure sensor does NOT like it! It's going to cost me $225 to replace the sensors, so I will NOT be using it again soon. I WILL be using it in the Midnight the next time I put tires in. That will be next year, as the tires are getting old, but not worn.
              Just pop these on and save yourself $220.00
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-4pcs-36-PS...6085%26ps%3D54
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Problem is, it will NOT turn off the yellow signal in the computer screen! My '07 has the computer system, as well as the Electronic suspension control. The display shows ALL errors, as well as low fuel. I bought it used, so I can't complain too much.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  Problem is, it will NOT turn off the yellow signal in the computer screen! My '07 has the computer system, as well as the Electronic suspension control. The display shows ALL errors, as well as low fuel. I bought it used, so I can't complain too much.
                  You might be able to clean them with MEK or some kind of solvent, I understand, I have had 3 BMW's, Jaguars and many other PIA cars and understand your pain.
                  1980 XS1100 Special
                  1990 V Max
                  1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                  1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

The concept has been around a long time. The original and best known brand is "Balance Plus".

In theory it will balance a tire perfectly. It might take several miles of teeth chattering to do so. If a tire sits for a while it might take longer to re-distribute in operation and re-balance. If the stuff dries out while a tire is in storage the tire will be out of balance permanently.

If a tubeless tire, it can make an awful sticky mess on the rim. Many dealers will not work on a tire/rim that has balancer/sealer installed because of the mess. On tube spoked rims, if a puncture happens, it will rust the rim (if steel) and will rust the spoke nuts so bad cutting and replacement will be required. Also will cause corrosion on aluminum rims.

If the idea of auto-balancing appeals, look to the ceramic beads like some truckers use. It is worth noting that commercial vehicles (like truckers) will not use the liquid balance/sealer.
                    1995 KZ100P
                    Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                    Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

I just installed the beads in the new whitewalls I just put on my MNS. The only hard part was getting them through the valve stem. I had to pour them REALLY slowly to keep them from clogging.

So, is the liquid stuff only supposed to be used with tubes, or can you use it on the XS tubeless wheels without issue? I wonder if it would stop up the hole caused by a spark plug in a tire?

Last edited by CatatonicBug; 03-12-2013, 04:12 PM.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Lon, are you really considering putting that crap in your new tires? I think it would be a mistake considering the limited use that your bike gets, JMHO.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Bug,

I doubt it would have absolutly sealed it but I bet it would have slowed the leak to less than a trickle of air.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I have it in my XJ11 with new Commander II tires and the Subaru as well. Oddly with the Subie I have a slight wobble for 1/2 mile at interstate speed then smooth if the tires were sitting awhile. With the XJ11 I have no problems. I'll be putting a pair of Commander II on my Maxim-X this summer and will use it in those as well.

Gary
                            82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Balance Plus, used this stuff in my RWL 481s back in 79-81 on my SF. Took a year or two to wear out the OE tires. Was riding with some buds and start hearing a clicking sound, then a weave in the rear, gas station right there pull in and find what's left of a bungee end stuck in the rear. Up on the center stand ask the kid does he have any plugs, comes out with the worm type, pull out the bungee end and push in the worm, top off the tire, go in and pay. Come out and the worm is laying on the concrete, tire flat. Go back in the kid doubles up the worm and we push it in. Fill the tire again and while we are standing there the worm comes wiggling out, falls on the ground, tire flat. They were doing a re-model on the station and I looked at the screws the guy was using and ask if I could have one of the big screws, sure. Screw it into the tire and rode the bike for a few days, no pressure loss got a new RWL 481 and had it changed no problem. Don't like riding with plugs or screws.
                              Don };~)
                              76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                              80 XS650 G Special II
                              https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                              80 XS 1100 SG
                              81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                              https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                              AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Working...
                              X