Recommended middle/final gear oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended middle/final gear oil

Ok, so I have officially completed XS11 engine oil bootcamp, via Mike Hart's and XS11's posts in the maintainence/oil & lubrication section of the forums. Thansk to everyone that contributed, I think I'll be going the Mobil1 15w30 route myself.

Now with that being said, does anyone have any gear oil recomendations they'd care to contribute? I plan on a complete fluid change, but this is my first spring with my 81' XSLH- so there's no track record to go by. Anyone tried Lucas's 80/90 gear oil (http://www.lucasoil.com/Product_Deta...?Product_ID=26)? Overkill? Good stuff?

Ok, so enough 'gatoring- I'm all ears.

-Pickman
    Getting warmer here in SW Ohio, high of 54!
    81' XS1100LH "Lady Luck"
    Midnight Ed. turned Special

Gear Oil

I use Castrol synthetic, 75W90. It comes in a black bottle, and I have had no problem at all, and I have been using it for a few years now. The only complaint I have is that it tends to migrate past the threads of the fill, and drain plugs and will attract dirt in those areas. It won't form a drip, but will seep past the plug. I even used a new fiber washer under the head of the plugs, but it still leaves a slight coating. I will be changing it soon, and this time I will use some teflon/plumbers tape on the the plug threads. Maybe that will stop it. Other than having to clean it off every so often, it is a great product. YMMV

Comment

Hey there Pickman,

I, too, used Castrol, but not synthetic, just standard 80/90 Hypoid. From what I've read, and have heard from 1 Xsive that uses the Lucas products, that they are very good, just not sure if really needed/worth the extra $$ vs. the readily available standard or synthetic stuff.....80/90 wt is pretty viscous!!!

I, too. have noticed a seeping from the filler caps on my middle and final gear units, may have to try that teflon tape myself!?

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
      X