final drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• final drive

I have to replace the inner axle shaft oil seal on my final drive unit. Is there anyone out there who has sucessfully performed this operation? I read in another thread some strong warnings about not being able to return the shims to their original position and risking rear end lock up. Is this job really so difficult?

Download the yamaha shaft drive booklet (bout 3,33 meg), follow the instructions. If you need special tools, go to your most friendly shop, let them do it and give em a beer.
    If you can't find the booklet on the net, send me your email address and I'll mail it to you. It's for 750/850/1100 XS series... helped me a lot.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

xs success

Thank you strom for your informative factory manual about the final drive rebuild.
      I removed the hub from the swingarm. cleaned the entire outside of the drive casing. Removed the ring gear assembly, cleaned out the inner casing. I took it to my Yamaha dealer who said it would be about a half hour labour charge. The next day I got the call that the new oil seal was in, and that he was able to reuse the original roller bearing. total repair cost= $40 shop labour, and $8 for the new seal. I got it all back together on the machine last night, and I have just returned from the road test. It worked perfect, not a speck of oil, dirt, dust or grease any where on the rear wheel.

Comment

XSellent

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

rear

Hi Strom,
          Can I take you up on your offer on the manual copy. My email is tlgauau@yahoo.com
          Thanks heaps
          Glenn
          Australia
          Life is short, be damned. Its the longest thing you will ever do.

Comment

Hey, Xsaddict. How did you know you needed a new inner shaft oil seal in your final drive? Was it leaking oil out of a particular location?

Comment

inner seal failure diagnosis

Hi GS Bike,

The first thing you'll notice is that you're getting oil on your rear wheel when you ride. If your filler plug or drain plug on the drive hub show no obvious drips, then it leads to 3 possibilities:
              drive spline outer seal, ring gear cover o-ring, or the dreaded inner shaft seal.
              The first two are much easier to replace, and will show leakage if you remove the rear wheel, but the one sure symptom of the inner seal leaking is signs of oil around the drive splines, and the rear axle hole.
              If you pack the rear splines with grease, and reassemble the rear wheel, the inner seal leakage will cause that gear oil from the final drive unit to mix with the grease, thin it down, and flush it out, sending it all over the rear rim and sidewall of your tire-big mess. Also potentially hazardous if you like to lean hard into left hand corners.
              hope that helps without being too long winded.

Comment

Thanks for the good info, xsaddict.

The reason I ask is that I just got a new (new for me) final drive for my XS1100F and when I turned it on it's side, oil leaked out of the top plastic piece (I think it's a vent or something). The other exterior seals that I can see look fine with no leakage. Any idea if this is an idication that the inner shaft seal is blown?

I haven't put it on the bike and drove around on it yet, so I don't know if I have the oil on the wheel symptom.

Comment

Correct

Your assumption is correct, that is just a vent to release pressure build up as the oil and gears get hot and oil will run out it if you tilt it the right ( wrong ) way. If all the other areas looked dry before this occured i would say you will be fine. If i were you i would drain the old oil and top it up with fresh oil after you get it installed . Good luck and enjoy.....MITCH
                  Doug Mitchell
                  82 XJ1100 sold
                  2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                  2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                  1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                  47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Thanks, Mitch. That's what I will do.

Comment

Working...
                    X