Chasing a bad miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chasing a bad miss

I think I have an ignition problem on cyls 2 and 3 so I started using this guide to track it down:
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583
    I'm getting 3.7ohms at the ignition box across the primary side of both coils, 1.7 ohms at the coils. On the secondary side I'm getting 0.9-1.1 Mohms on the 1+4 coil (which runs fine) and 14 Mohms on the 2+3 coil. What does that mean???

I've already checked the pickup side of the ignition and it was in spec. My issue is a bad miss at all rpms and cyls 2+3 are black plugs.
    1980 XS1100SG Special

I would check your ignition coils. One coil fires 1 & 4, and the other fires 2 & 3. Trace the sparkplug wires back from 2&3 and see which coil they go to. Check it for good. I suspect that is where your trouble lies, or something in that circuit.
    Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Yea, I'm thinking the 1+4 coil is out of spec but runs fine and the 2+3 coil is in spec but doesn't.
      1980 XS1100SG Special

Comment

The stock '78-80 coils should check as follows: 1.5 ohms across the primary side, and 15K ohms across the secondary side with the spark plug ends removed from the wires (they unscrew). Each plug end should read 5K ohms through it. You can go plus or minus 10% and still be safe. The plug ends are a pretty common failure point and replaceable. You'll also run into poor connections where they're screwed on, sometimes trimming 1/4" off the end of the wires will fix that.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Check the pickup coil wires. Have you ohmed out the pickups while moving the wires around under the ignition cover?

Sounds like a classic picup coil problem.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by copracr View Post
            http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583
            . On the secondary side I'm getting 0.9-1.1 Mohms on the 1+4 coil (which runs fine) and 14 Mohms on the 2+3 coil. What does that mean???

If your meter has a K (kilo) ohm range, try it and let us know what the coils read. Try 20 K range.
            If, as you state, the reading is in the M (mega) ohm range, it means that the secondary winding is compromised (screwed up). Open windings will read Mohm values due to slight continuity through the insulation/moisture/ your fingers on both probes/etc.
            CZ

Comment

When I read the title of this thread: Chasing a bad "Miss"

I caught myself thinking: Is she wearing black Leather?
              Guy

1980 XS1100G - Frankenstein - resurrected from the impound lot
              1991 Suzuki GS500E (not running yet)
              2003 Burgman AN400 - Blue Belle
              2005 Burgman AN400 - Silver Belle

Comment

caution, chasing a bad miss may lead to divorce
                Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                and SOXS
                2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Originally posted by hamjam View Post
                  caution, chasing a bad miss may lead to divorce
                  Or a restraining order!

Comment

It's been a while since I tried to get this bike going but other projects are done and I'm back to getting my bike going.
                    So here's an update:
                    I did all the stuff you guys suggested and everything checked out. I even swapped out the 2+3 coil just to be sure. I then bought some of those inline spark testers with bulbs in them. All four coils fire just about even.
                    So I moved on to the carbs. I pulled all four and first thing I did was drain them individually into a jar. Number 2 had about 1 and a quarter more fuel than the other 3. I pulled the plugs out again to double check them and number 2 is covered in carbon and number 3 looks just a little rich (1 and 4 looked about right with some tan).

I thought maybe the inlet needle valve was sticking open or the float level was wrong. I can't blow through the fuel inlet while the carbs are upside down and the float looks level with the other 3. Is there something else I could look at?

And the weird thing is this whole problem was a sudden onset. If the float level was wrong it should have ran poor all along, but it didn't.
                    1980 XS1100SG Special

Comment

maybe that float has a small hole and is getting gas in it so it wont float. One of my floats was like that so I had to get another one.
                      Jeff
                      77 XS750 2D completely stock
                      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Are they stock coils? Also, try, if they reach, to swap out the coils. Move the 2-3 wires to plugs 1 and 4 and vice versa, then switch the grey wire with the orange wire at the low side of the coils to keep your timing correct.

If you do this and the miss moves to 1 and 4, then you know you have either a coil or pick-up coil problem.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                          Are they stock coils? Also, try, if they reach, to swap out the coils. Move the 2-3 wires to plugs 1 and 4 and vice versa, then switch the grey wire with the orange wire at the low side of the coils to keep your timing correct.

If you do this and the miss moves to 1 and 4, then you know you have either a coil or pick-up coil problem.
                          I can't get the 2/3 coil to reach plug 1. But I already swapped that coil out entirely with no change.

I also broke out my micrometer and set the bowls exactly at 25mm. 2 was at about 19 and 3 was about 21. No change to running and when I drained the carbs there was about equal fuel in the bowls this time.

Basically at this point, plug 2 is black, the others are OK, and it won't start or idle without the choke on.
                          1980 XS1100SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by copracr View Post
                            it won't start or idle without the choke on.
                            Pilot circuits are plugged.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Also, unless you mistyped, your fuel levels are wrong. You want 23 mm not 25 mm.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X