NO first gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO first gear

My 82 maxim pops out of gear on acceleration, you can let off the clutch and ease it along until it starts rolling, but after you reach 5-10mph it pops out. I tore the tranny apart and found wear on the 1st gear so I swapped it out with one from my spare engine and it made no difference. The dogs are fine and everything is in correctly. What am I missing here? Cant be as hard as it seems.

Hey there John,
    Well, you only solved 1/2 of the problem. Replacing just 1 gear isn't enough. The dogs of 4th gear mesh with the slots of the 1st gear, so along with replacing the 1st gear, you also need to replace the 4th gear. OR....perform the dremmel repair, undercutting the mating surfaces of both the 4th gear dogs and the 1st gear slots, which is a little tougher due to the fact the 1st gear slots are NOT open, like the 5th/2nd gear combo.

I fixed an XJ that had the 1st gear jitters so bad, you couldn't even go 500rpm above idle before it started jumping, sounded like a machine gun. You'll want to also check and fix 2nd/5th gear while you're in there this second time, cause it won't be long, and you won't want to go in a third time.

I haven't made the time to finish the tech tip I've got going on doing the Dremmel fix for this. Are you also signed on to the Yahoo groups list? I've got a decent thorough walkthru with pictures and diagrams on it in the files section, tips and tricks. If you aren't signed on, apply, answer the followup email, and I'll get your membership approved quickly, we have it that way to keep out Spammers and Email addy hunters! Yahoo Group name: "ALLXS11S"
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X