Does an 83 XJ tank fit my 80 Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does an 83 XJ tank fit my 80 Special?

Couldn't find any interchangeability info, so wondered if the XJ Maxim tank will fit my 80 SG? Guy in town has one for 50 bucks.
    Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

I beileve it might. If I remember correct, TC has an XJ tank on his 81 special.

I'm sure there may be a tweak needed where the seat meets the tank, but otherwise it should bolt up okay.

Disclaimer: I'm not 100% sure...
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

Nope, it's not a bolt-on. The XJ tank is considerably longer, and while it shares front mounts with the XS models, the rear mount is completely different and further back on the frame. TC got his on by removing the XS mount and welding the XJ mount into it's place. You also lose the upper mount for the stock airbox, so pods are needed unless you want to fab a all-new airbox mount and bracket.

Seat mods are required too....
      Last edited by crazy steve; 02-25-2013, 04:00 PM.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hey Courtney,

I even cheated, I just cut down the XS rear bolt mount, but I did NOT weld on a different bolt down. I just have it mounted on the front rubber frame mounts...BTW it sticks out/forward more so you don't want to turn the bars too far left/right or you can hit the tank with the fork tubes. The Special seat rides up over the tank rear so I just placed the frame rubber mounts, and the seat still catches under the front clamp, and the seat keeps the rear down/secure! The petcocks bolt right on from the special tank, and the sending unit fits the same opening, but it's on the other side, and so you should make some extensions for the sender plug/wires to reach the harness plug. I didn't notice whether the sender unit was upside down or not, I read in another thread that could be a problem giving you less of a warning...much lower fuel left in the tank, etc.! Also, the rear of the tank sticks down a little farther, so the side covers are very close...I think had to bend the mounting tabs a little to position the covers so they would not hit the tank!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ok thanks guys, sounds like not what I want, so I'll take a pass. I'm in no hurry; I just want it all right to take pics and send them off for collector plates. Have to please the B.C. gov't insurance boys. It all has to be pretty much tiddly or no plate.
          Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Working...
          X