Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Canadian and US 80 specials different wiring diagrams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Canadian and US 80 specials different wiring diagrams?

Need a bit of help as my wiring diagram in my Haynes doesn't correspond to what I'm seeing inside my headlight bucket. I put the round special hl bucket back on, but am not sure what wires are for the left and right turnsignal lights. I should have written a diagram I guess before unplugging everything. I plugged the green/yellow coming from the front bl switch into the green/yellow from the harness. I think brown bl switch light goes to the brown wire from the harness. I have a brown and green that come out of a plug, a brown (which I think is for front bl switch), a red and a blue. Here are 3 pics, and my apologies. I DID read crazysteves wiring info. PO had a fairing on here.

Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

I do it the easy way. Use a DMM, switch the signals for left, and look to see what wire is now hot. With a good battery, you may be able to see one "flash". Do the same for the right side, and then mark the book with the proper colors. The solid brown is usually a "hot" off the ignition, so do be careful with it.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

OK thanks. I looked at another wiring diagram, and it looks like the two wires, the green and the brown coming out of the plug are the left and right turn signals. I suspect the brown you call hot, must power the front brakelight switch then.
      Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

The light brown is keyed power, turn signals are dark brown (Chocolate) and Dark Green, yellow/green is turn canceller there is a extra red and a blue for aux. (fairing)hookups

where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
        Iowa the Beautiful Land 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

thanks Jayel, the dark green and the dark brown are both coming out of the same terminal plug so that's gotta be them. Light brown is by itself so gotta be the front brake switch. Thanks for the red and blue info. Gonna print that page and your info and put it in my manual. Where'd you get this schematic from?
          Last edited by Courtney; 02-25-2013, 12:55 PM.

Comment

drew and colored from a scan in MSpaint if you want the rest of the circuits go here to my xs1100 album

http://s1068.beta.photobucket.com/us...64047167168955

open in MSpaint (tranparent) and you can overlay different circuits I save them as png. files so they don't bleed colors like jpg. files do
            where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
            Iowa the Beautiful Land 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
            X