Next stupid question while I repaint this engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next stupid question while I repaint this engine

OK, have removed the 3 allen bolts on this side panel and it's still tight as can be. What am I missing here? I want to take it off and polish it up. This is not my bike, just a handy pic. My bike is coming along nicely.

Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

The starter covers that, so you won't be able to remove it without removing the starter next to it. What that cover is is a bearing cover with a couple rubber O-rings that'll leak if you tear them up. BUT.. if you've already removed the starter on your bike, and still want that removed, take a rubber mallet and give it a shot to make it rotate one way or the other. Then when it moves, you can take that hammer and tap it out, using the flat exposed lip. This might make it get cocked a bit, so you can either get a screwdriver on the opposite side and do a little wedging to get it straightened up a bit, then give it a whack with the rubber hammer again. You'll slowly get it worked out that way.

On installation, I just use the rubber hammer to tap it back in again, BUT... if you install those 3 bolts, but leave them loose, when you get your starter back in, you can tap that cover and move it slightly to line up exactly with the starter cover, then tighten them all the way.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hey Courtney,

I will just add, that if you're not seeing any oil leaking from around that bearing cap/cover, taking it off and then going back with the same old flattened O-rings "could" cause it to start leaking!!

I measured and found some replacement O-rings for that from McMaster-Carr, but had to order like 25 of them!

I found just getting it loosened to rotate, and then applying even pressure outwards as you rotate it back and forth will allow it to slowly slide outwards, it's the rubber O-rings that make it snug and hard to get out.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

OK, that tears it, it's staying in place. I'll strip it in place with paintstripper, then polish it as well. Did it to the starter piece, so I'll do it with this one too, or else paint it along with the rest of the engine case. Thanks guys! Stay tuned for the next stupid question soon!
        Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Working...
        X