Painting horns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting horns

What advice do you guys have on prepping/cleaning the horns for paint? I have an 81LH with the dual horns that are kind of hard to find so I do not want to damage them before or during painting. I do not want to spray something like brakekleen on them and find I screwed them up. Any tips or previous experience with this?
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
    What advice do you guys have on prepping/cleaning the horns for paint? I have an 81LH with the dual horns that are kind of hard to find so I do not want to damage them before or during painting. I do not want to spray something like brakekleen on them and find I screwed them up. Any tips or previous experience with this?
    Howdy Ras,

The ones I dealt with were off the 80G, so I don't know if they changed in 81. If they didn't the horns can be disassembled and painted piece meal. Actually you can mask off the outer face ring and terminal, and paint the body. There is a screw and lock nut on the back side that is used to "tune them" after you get them back together.
    The chrome plate in the center can be removed, paying attention to the washer sequence, and taken to a buffing wheel, or cleaned by hand. The chrome ring that is riveted around the periphery can be cleaned in place, or the rivets can be removed, the ring buffed clean, and replaced with small bolts on re-assembly. If they are not removed, the assembly can be cleaned with solvent, carb spray, etc, since the diaphragm is sealed by the outer ring and rivets. I think there is a vent hole on the back side, so I wouldn't immerse the horns in solvent.
    Since the faces of the horns are subjected to stone damage, the chrome tends to rust in the dings, and must be attended to frequently to maintain any semblance of shiny.
    The internal working are a simple vibrator with points, and if the horns don't work, and there is electrical continuity through the two terminals, they can sometimes be resurrected by getting inside (removing the rivets) and cleaning the contacts.
    They are pretty robust, so don't be to worried about working on them.

Glad your feeling better.

CZ

Comment

Here I was all excited as I thought you were gonna paint Longhorns on your bike!

Glad you brought up the subject as I have a set of dual horns that needed repaint.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
      X