Two tech questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two tech questions

One: I read somewhere on this site about lengthening the lever at the gear box end of the clutch cable. This I believe was to make pulling the clutch lever easier. I dislocated my left thumb many years ago and also removed the end of my thumb. Thirteen stitches and the surgeon put it back on. He also put the thumb back in place. But it aches pulling in the clutch.
    Where can I find that thread?.
    Two: My ignition switch sometimes does not make positive contact in the on position. Are they easy to take apart and clean, or is a new switch in my future? If so from where?
    Thank you in advance.
    Unkle Crusty
    Speaking of my future, I am currently lusting over a new KTM 390 Duke.
    In BC to have collector plates on Yami I must have something else insured.
    Under 400 is fairly cheap insurance, so the KTM would suit.

First, lengthening the throwout lever will make the clutch lever travel longer and you'll likely cause problems engaging or disengaging the clutch. Your hand will get used to it with use.

The ignition switch is really quite easy to disassemble and clean. Just pay attention to how it comes apart so you'll know how it goes back together.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hey Crusty,

The lever arm in the engine side of the clutch is already quite long, essentially as long as will fit inside the housing without rubbing against the side. The cable attachment is fairly close to the end of that lever, so it would be hard to gain much if any leverage trying to move the attachment location farther away from the rotating end of the lever.

A member has done a hydraulic clutch mod, and that it makes the pulling action a bit easier and smoother than the OEM cable setup.

Aside from that, either putting a longer handlebar clutch lever arm would provide better leverage, but will require it to travel more distance to move the cable the same amount as an OEM. There is a 3 ball bearing plate in the actual clutch throwout mechanism on the engine, and it can get corroded, rusted, it's not bathed in the engine oil, and the grease can dry up or thicken, etc., so taking it apart and R&Ring it with fresh grease would help in reducing the action resistance, along with lubing the clutch cable and ensuring that it's routed with the least amount of bends.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Also, I do not believe there is allot of space left in the compartment to lengthen the lever by more than 1/2". IMHO, you would be better served by doing the hydraulic clutch upgrade.

As for the key switch, HERE is a thread I made on the process of dis-assembly and cleaning of the switch. It is pretty straightforward. Cleaning them up will usually solve the issues.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

What type of clutch springs do you have installed, there are regular and heavy duty type. Also, if an extra steel disk has been added to your clutch pack, that will make the lever stiffer than normal. And there is the cable routing.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Two tech questions.

Thank you for the replies gentlemen.
            BA80, my grip is quite strong, but my thumb area aches after repeated use. Been that way for about 50 years, probably will not get better.
            Thanks for the easy to clean tip re the ignition.

Top Cat, Is there any info on the hydraulic clutch mod? I will check the ball bearings for grease. Will be installing new cable soon.

DGXSER, sweet link for the photos of the ignition.

Phil, not sure what springs are in there. Clutch does not slip, just bloody hard to pull the lever.

All: I was almost prompted to write a piece on clutches I have known, both good and bad, but saved it.

Crusty

Comment

Hey Crusty,

Look at this thread/tip in the MODS section!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13345

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by Crusty Snippets View Post
                my grip is quite strong, but my thumb area aches after repeated use.

I generally don't use the clutch when upshifting under normal riding circumstances. I just put a little pressure on the shifter and quickly let off and reapply throttle and upshift smootly. It does take some practice to get it down but it is much less strenuous on your clutch hand.

I always use the clutch downshifting or when I'm dogging it.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  I always use the clutch downshifting or when I'm dogging it.
                  Hehehe, I guess thats a different slang meaning in the states to what it is over here

Clicky

And to get back on topic, yup I only use the clutch for setting off in 1st

Tom
                  1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                  1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                  1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                  1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
                  X