Intermitent nuetral indicator and tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermitent nuetral indicator and tach

So it turned out to be a decent day so I decided to see if the bike would run after installing the dyna coils and adjusting valves. Hooked up fuel and it just cranked and cranked. Checked spark, nothing on all four. Hooked up a junk yard tci and it fired right up. Very surprising since my bike has 16kto on it and both bikes I pulled the tcis off of had 20k plus. Weird since it ran great in sept. Anyway..

So I got her synced and noticed the tach and nuetral light are absent, however if I rev it up the neutral light blinks a little and the tach jumps around. Are these symptoms of a charging problem? I nevet had charging problems last fall. Guess Ill check some voltages and get back to ya.
    1979 XS1100 SF
    1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
    1981 KZ650CSR
    2006 VTX 1300C
    1986 Radian 600

So when I rev above 2k Im getting 14.4v at the battery. Guess Ill pull the headlight and play around in there.
    1979 XS1100 SF
    1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
    1981 KZ650CSR
    2006 VTX 1300C
    1986 Radian 600

Comment

Well, this was another time where I should have picked up the tools instead of running to the computer. Easy fix. After running for 20min I noticed a substantial valve cover leak. Apparently I botched that rtv job. Let the rtv completley set up before install, not a good idea. After removing the valve cover it looks like upon torquing it just cut the $hit out of the gasket. Might just use a conventional gasket this time.

Anyone else have a problem with the cam plugs(half moon plastic deals) wanting to squeeze back out? Had a hell of a time when installed the valve cover the first time, and it appears they pushed themselves out a little bit.
      1979 XS1100 SF
      1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
      1981 KZ650CSR
      2006 VTX 1300C
      1986 Radian 600

Comment

I personally have never had a problem with the cam plugs but I've known of some that have.

I use 3M weatherstrip adhesive and glue them to the head before installing the cover and I've never had a problem.

Others have turned them around and installed them backwards (hollow side out) and that seems to work well also.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Well you've never had trouble because you always glue them to the head. Great advise!! I will be doing that tomarro.
          1979 XS1100 SF
          1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
          1981 KZ650CSR
          2006 VTX 1300C
          1986 Radian 600

Comment

Originally posted by conquest87tsi View Post
            Checked spark, nothing on all four. Hooked up a junk yard tci and it fired right up. Very surprising since my bike has 16kto on it and both bikes I pulled the tcis off of had 20k plus. Weird since it ran great in sept. Anyway..

Howdy Shane,

You didn't say what you were going to do with your dead TCI, but if you are going to throw it away, I would be happy to pay the poatge and have you send it to me, so that I can continue my experiments in the lab or it ory.
            I just hate to see them thrown away.
            Thanks, Jerry Roy

Comment

Working...
            X