Cylinder temps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder temps?

Does anyone know what temperature the exhaust pipes coming out of the head should be?

I measured mine on the first downward curve using a laser thermal gage. My #1 & #4 are running around 325 and #2 & #3 are at 265.

I swapped coils and ignition module with no change. I have been going through this bike for a year and just was able to ride it Sunday when I checked and found this issue.

I have the same emulsion tubes and jets in all four carbs.

I also thought about the valve clearances and may have to check them one more time. The shims were changed a few months ago. I did a thread on this because I tried to swap a shim from one place to another and found that you shouldn't rotate the motor without a shim in the bucket. So maybe even though the correct shim was put in, the buggered up cam has changed the actual required need.

Before I go back into the valves I plan on enriching the 1&4 a small amount to see if those will cool down....

It is running the best that I have seen at this time. It might be best to ride and not worry about it?

What temps do you see?
    79 XS11

Originally posted by Bartman View Post
    Does anyone know what temperature the exhaust pipes coming out of the head should be?

I measured mine on the first downward curve using a laser thermal gage. My #1 & #4 are running around 325 and #2 & #3 are at 265.

I swapped coils and ignition module with no change. I have been going through this bike for a year and just was able to ride it Sunday when I checked and found this issue.

I have the same emulsion tubes and jets in all four carbs.

I also thought about the valve clearances and may have to check them one more time. The shims were changed a few months ago. I did a thread on this because I tried to swap a shim from one place to another and found that you shouldn't rotate the motor without a shim in the bucket. So maybe even though the correct shim was put in, the buggered up cam has changed the actual required need.

Before I go back into the valves I plan on enriching the 1&4 a small amount to see if those will cool down....

It is running the best that I have seen at this time. It might be best to ride and not worry about it?

What temps do you see?
    If havin' the carbs off, may wanna check float levels for all eight being identical setting.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I put the carbs in my table vise and used the clear tubes attached to zerk fittings in the bowls. Let them sit for hours to make sure all were level and didn't leak.

Still, the temps are different at start up idle and after riding hard the last mile home.

So the question that needs to be answered is what temp should I see?
      79 XS11

Comment

could it be 1&4 are running lean,or maybe 2&3 running rich? Not sure what the temp of the pipes should be.But will be interesting getting the answer.
        FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
        1999 Vulcan classic-sold
        1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
          could it be 1&4 are running lean,or maybe 2&3 running rich? Not sure what the temp of the pipes should be.But will be interesting getting the answer.
          Might wanna pull those plugs for a burn check. If the cyls. you might suspect lean and grey on plug electrode, would consider correcting issue as they don't run well with ventilated pistons.....
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Bartman,

I posted a similar question not long ago under the title Head Temperatures. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38546

Got a few responses and the general conclusion is that a reading in the 200-250 degree range is OK after a ride with the inside cylinders running hotter than the outside. Are you checking after a ride or after idling on the center stand?

I agree with the others that your situation (outside hotter than inside) suggests the outsides are running lean and the insides running rich. Might want to check the jets to be sure they are correct. Sometimes guys will try to correct the heat problem in the center by re-jetting rich.

Aches n Pains
            1995 KZ100P
            Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
            Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Alot of variables can affect pipe temp so I never put alot of weight in a pipe temp measurement difference between pipes unless it is a big swing.

If you use a laser then you cannot just aim it at the pipe. Start your measurement as close to the head as possible and slowly sweep across the pipe and from only an inch or two away. Watch the gauge and take the highest reading.
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I have checked at both start up idle and after a very hard run down the road. All times that I check the inside were 50 ~ 70 cooler than the outside ones. Backwards from what I was expecting.

I only checked at the turn of the pipe which is about 2 inches from the exhaust port. I also was shooting the pointer at the distance of the front forks. I will check again by the spark plug and at the exhaust port and head next time.

If the temps are different at start up idle and after a long run. And if it is running lean on 1 & 4 and rich on 2 & 3 then both the idle and the mains would both have to be wrong????

But at both conditions (idle & running) then it might be the cams needing to be checked one more time.
                79 XS11

Comment

single wall pipe or double wall will effect it, measure the head temp as close to the port as possible also next to the plugs expect 240 to 265 range
                  where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
                  Iowa the Beautiful Land 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Not to introduce un needed complications into this puzzle, but are your header pipes stock, with an inner and outer pipe, or a single wall after market type.
                    If they are the two wall type, there could be some issues with the inner pipe on 1&4.
                    Assuming they are the two wall type, a crack in the weld between the two, allowing gas bypass into the intermediate space, could cause that temperature difference.
                    Look on the bottom of the pipes, down where they meet the collector, and you should see a small drain hole in the bottom of the head pipes. Start the engine, and see if gasses are forced out the hole. If there are, the interior welds are compromised, allowing leakage.

Comment

I believe that they are after market and when I was putting new stud bolts and gaskets into the exhaust I didn't see any inner tubes. I believe that they are single pipes.

I stayed home sick today and could have spent my time oh so wisely but I just haven't had the energy to touch the bike. I hate laying in bed and thinking about what I need to be doing! Hopefully tomorrow night I'll feel better.
                      79 XS11

Comment

Originally posted by Bartman View Post
                        I believe that they are after market and when I was putting new stud bolts and gaskets into the exhaust I didn't see any inner tubes. I believe that they are single pipes.
                        In that case, as the others suggested, it is timing or carburetion.
                        Although, the temps seem low all around, given that the exhaust temperature of the gases will range from 500 to 600 at idle, to 1100 - 1300 at full song. And two or three inches from the head on a single wall pipe should show a higher temperature.
                        Boil a dark pan of water, and shine the laser on the side of the pan and see what temp you get displayed. CZ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                          Look on the bottom of the pipes, down where they meet the collector, and you should see a small drain hole in the bottom of the head pipes. Start the engine, and see if gasses are forced out the hole. If there are, the interior welds are compromised, allowing leakage.
                          Not sure what years these were on which bikes, but not all of them have the plug. I thought these plugs were for exhaust gas sniffers to go in for setting carbs. I only have one set that has them on it and I have never taken them out. Are they in fact drain plugs or are they access to the exhaust gases in that pipe?
                          The idea of the break in the inner wall is very valid in my mind and could be the source of the problem.
                          I do not know which exhaust the OP is using as after market can be so much different than OEM. Pictures or a description of the exhaust may help narrow down the issue.
                          2-79 XS1100 SF
                          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

they are to let moisture out so the pipes don't rust, shoundn't be any puffing as that indicates a exhaust leak
                            where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
                            Iowa the Beautiful Land 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Oem

Originally posted by jayel View Post
                              they are to let moisture out so the pipes don't rust, shoundn't be any puffing as that indicates a exhaust leak
                              I think the pin holes in the early exaust were as said. I belive the bolt plug's go all the way through and were for meeting emission standards on 80+ bikes JIMHO
                              1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                              1980 XS1100 Special
                              1990 V Max
                              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                              1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                              1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                              1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Working...
                              X