Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little details can bite you in the butt on these things!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little details can bite you in the butt on these things!

Ok, so I have been fighting a battle with an intermittently sticking float in #3. Given how much I hate pulling the carbs (and hate stabbing them even more!), I decided I wanted to go ahead and put a carb kit in even though the needles/jets were only a couple of years old (about 18,000 miles or so). And, while the carbs are mostly apart, might as well go all the way and give them a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner, just to get anything new out.

So, while putting it back together, I decide to reuse my existing main jets (Mikuni #35 due to altitude) and air bleeds. The new needles, float needle and seat, pilot jet (same size as existing), idle needles and gaskets all go in.

First issue: After getting the carbs back in and hooked up, I realize that I left the bloody bottom rail off! It was still sitting on the bench! After I quit cussing, I figured I might as well fire up the bike, balance the carbs and adjust the idle needles, just in case there was an issue that required me to pull the carbs again anyway.

At this point, it looked like it was running a bit rich, but nothing terrible (also still basically cold, so I should have known...) I go ahead and pull the carbs and reinstall the bottom rail and then reinstall them.

Of course, it was only when I was fully warming up the bike to do the final adjustments of the carbs that it started to run richer and richer. To the point that it would almost not run at all. Just to test it out, I buttoned it back up and took it for a quick test ride. Idle was the problem. Above 3000 rpm, it cleaned out and ran very well. But the idle just got worse after it got fully up to temperature after the test ride.

And it was out with the carbs once more! Thankfully, the root cause was fairly easy to see when I was looking closely: The new pilot jets had EIGHT holes and they appeared to be LARGER than the six on the stock pilot jets! No wonder it was running pig rich (when I pulled the carbs after the test ride, the inside of the intake boots was wet!) More cussing ensued! On the bright side, they DID have the same number stamped on them as the stockers...

Just got things buttoned back up, the carbs are synced and the idle mixture is dialed in fairly well. I always get amazed at just how smooth the engine runs when the carbs are SYNCED on the money instead of just close.

Needless to say, I am REALLY sick of pulling those carbs!!!!

Oh, and I DID fix the #3 float sticking. It was JUST rubbing the bowl. A slight tweak to the float pulled it away from the bowl and all is good. I hope...
    -- Clint
    1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Yep, those different style pilot jets have been the PITA of more than a few folks. You were pretty quick in catching it!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
      Yep, those different style pilot jets have been the PITA of more than a few folks. You were pretty quick in catching it!
      Yes, I have found that on these Mikuni carbs it is best to stick with real Mikuni jets as much as possible. The Mikunis can be a bit touchy.

I have always gotten my jets from Jets-R-Us. They are a perfect OEM match.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

When I went through it a couple of years ago, I make sure I only used Mikuni jets as well. For the life of me, I can 't remember WHY I decided to go ahead and use the new pilots instead of using the existing pilots (I had already ultrasonically cleaned them after all and they looked perfect).

Live and learn. Unfortunately, that is also followed up by the corollary of "Live more and forget".
        -- Clint

Comment

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
          Ok, so I have been fighting a battle with an intermittently sticking float in #3. (snippage) Oh, and I DID fix the #3 float sticking. It was JUST rubbing the bowl. A slight tweak to the float pulled it away from the bowl and all is good. I hope...
          Well now, see? You didn't check it by blowing air into the fuel supply hose while rotating the carbs.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
            Well now, see? You didn't check it by blowing air into the fuel supply hose while rotating the carbs.
            Not THIS time! I'm made that mistake in the past! I actually have the same floats in the carbs now. I just drilling at 1/16" hole in each float and used compressed air to reexpand the float. I had one that wasn't deformed, so I used my calipers to measure those floats and "adjusted" the crushed floats until they matched to the good ones. A bit of solder and the hole was sealed right up.
            -- Clint

Comment

Good idea to repair imploded floats, but what I meant was, did you check the float action and their ability to seal in the float valve by rotating the carb bank to open and close them while blowing into the fuel supply hose(s)? You would do that before you attach the bowls.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

You can bench test the carb floats with a bottle held high and see if the needles hold. Lots of K&L carb kits come with the wrong pilot jets. This have been giving people a headache for years. Maybe compare jets with a drill bit or eyeball them first.
                "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Working...
                X