Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best paint to match aluminum engine color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best paint to match aluminum engine color?

I'm going for collector plates on my XS and I've painted the engine satin black. It has to be the original everything to qualify for plates, so I need it to be aluminum engine colored again. I can take off the side covers and strip them, but the main engine's not so easy. SO, time to paint the engine aluminum color again. Has anyone come across a particular brand of paint during a resto that is really really close to the original engine color? Would love to know what it was. Sure beats stripping the engine with a soda blaster or paint stripper. Thanks!
    Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

can't believe you have to have original color of engine to get collector or classic plates where you live,what the hell,it is near impossible to duplicate the colors of a 80 XS special. If you have to,I don't see why you couldn't just use a good aluminum high temp paint.How are they going to know the difference?
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Yamaha actually used two different kinds of paint on the motors (the all-silver ones). Use any common high-heat aluminum on the barrels/head, but the cases are a slightly different color with a semi-gloss finish. Nobody has come up with an exact match that hold up as well as original, but Eastwood silver wheel paint is fairly close and doesn't chip as easily as some others....

And I agree; who's telling you it has to be a certain color? Tell them it's a Euro model, those came with blacked-out motors...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

B.C. requirements for collector/vintage plates

Here's the gov't directive folks. In B.C. we have provincial insurance, and they dictate the rules. If you read their info here, it has to be stock, in good shape, and as sold, except for period correct alterations like crash bars or a header exhaust. Other than that, you're S.O.L. Since collector insurance is $15 a month as opposed to $110 I'm paying right now, I'm quite happy to say "Yes sir!"

http://www.icbc.com/registration-lic...ector-vehicles
        Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
          I'm going for collector plates on my XS and I've painted the engine satin black. It has to be the original everything to qualify for plates, so I need it to be aluminum engine colored again. I can take off the side covers and strip them, but the main engine's not so easy. SO, time to paint the engine aluminum color again. Has anyone come across a particular brand of paint during a resto that is really really close to the original engine color? Would love to know what it was. Sure beats stripping the engine with a soda blaster or paint stripper. Thanks!
          Don't know if this is close enought to OEM for you?

I pollished the sidecovers then coated with Eastwood satin clear (only motor clear that won't yellow IMHO) the valve cover was painted with Eastwood high temp silver, then clear, the down pipes and carbs were Eastwood high temp silver, no clear, hope this helps
          1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
          1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Pretty close

Pretty close to this OEM
            http://www.motorstown.com/images/yamaha-xs-1100-01.jpg
            1980 XS1100 Special
            1990 V Max
            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
            1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Eastwood

A close up of the Eastwood HI temp silver on the carbs with no clear, bodys only.

1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

You have several outs; they say you can change color if it was offered on a same year/model bike, so the Euro versions were satin black, plus the LG/LH both had black motors. Remember, the Specials were sub-models...

If they don't knock you over for the 4-1 exhaust instead of the more-correct 4-2, I doubt if the engine color will be a biggy.... And if they have a paint chart for these, try to get a copy!
                Last edited by crazy steve; 02-16-2013, 01:27 AM.
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hi Courtney, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but here's some pics of my '80G and what I used to finish it. I can take a few better close ups if needed. LMK

The Duplicolor is used on the factory painted sections of the engine and the bare aluminum covers are polished.

I clear coated the oil pan, oil filter cover and am going to clear coat the cam cover also for protection down below and ease of maintainence (cleaning) up top.

The rest of the engine side covers are easy enough to keep polished and I also want to compare them over time with the clear coated ones.

The Eastwood Diamond Clear, as XS1100_OEM4ME has stated, is a very good product, pricey but you DO get what you pay for.
                  I used it on an ungaraged Cadillac's refinished/polished wheel centers two years ago and they still look like the day I painted them so that helped make my decision to use it on my bikes.
                  It is also heat resistant to 300 degrees F

1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                  1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                  1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                  1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                  1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Looks great
                    1980 XS1100 Special
                    1990 V Max
                    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                      Looks great
                      Thanxs, the flash of the camera and the flourescent lighting kinda doesn't do it the proper justice. ( My out for being a novice behind the lens )

Theres nothing better than natural sunlight on polished metal
                      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                        Don't know if this is close enought to OEM for you?

I pollished the sidecovers then coated with Eastwood satin clear (only motor clear that won't yellow IMHO) the valve cover was painted with Eastwood high temp silver, then clear, the down pipes and carbs were Eastwood high temp silver, no clear, hope this helps
                        Thanks for the pics, that is pretty much what I'm after for color etc. I will write down the info on my quest for a factory look!

Comment

Schming, that duplicolor looks VERY good! I will look for it up here in Cana-duh where it can be tough to find. Guess a trip across the border again is in order.

Comment

Working...
                          X