Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Igniter failure - why they fail!

Hello,
    I was reading about the guy that fixes the TCI units for viragos. I am interested to see why the xs ignitors fail. i went to Devry for electronics and should be able to repair these boxes. I am looking for an igniter or two (non-working) that i can examine to find the cause of the failure. I am mainly interested in the 1981 xs 4RO- type boxes. The reason being these are the only ones i can dynamically test with my bike and my portable labscope. I can hook up the labscope and record as i ride. If anyone has some known bad boxes they would like to donate or sell let me know. If/when I find the problem and parts i will write a detailed repair procedure with pictures that i will submit/donate to the XS11 team. The ignition box problem is going to be much worse as the bikes get older. I may be able to build completely new ciruit boards. I have software that allows me to build & test electonic circuits on my PC. let me know if you can help.
    Bill Woods
    1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
    1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
    2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Bill I had one fail years ago - I was on the freeway on-ramp and all of a sudden running on two cylinders, what a place for that to happen!

Took me a while to eliminate everything else as the prob, and when I finally (carefully) opened the CDI and looked closely at it, one of the power transistors appeared to have no solder on one leg! Apparently there had been just a bit, but it oxidized or something? Dab of solder, good as new.

BUT, I noticed when I was in there, none of the parts had ID of any kind on them. I know that wouldn't be more than a bump in the road to a good elec-tech...

I expect you might find power xsistors fail, maybe even small components. As to what those DIPs are, good luck! If a custom IC fails, well, SOL.
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Working...
    X