Replacement Luggage Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Luggage Seals

When I bought this rescue bike the PO said it had Pacifico Fairing and Luggage. He didn't tell me it had been disassembled for a painting attempt.

So, I've sure had a few laughs about my hard bags with no lids. I was happy to find enough parts to get it assembled that far but with no lids. Oh, well

Here are the lids I got from the PO. Left upper has a seal as you can see. But bottom left seal is missing. You can see the gap and a bit of warping.

Right side had the PO failed sanding & painting attempt. (weird to do that on a total rusted 'pos' bike with all kinds of problems & that would not run with no brakes) You can see the Right side upper / lower fits together pretty well but I have no seals.

Question:
    So, is there a source for a Upper & Lower Seals that fit on this luggage?? Note the PO had given me these two seals (see pic of right bag) that are real tall but too narrow to fit over the lip. They are so big they don't fit under the latches.

btw: It was pouring rain on my way home from the SE Rally. By the time I got home I had about 5" of water in each bag. My stuff was floating and needed to bail out the bags. Bungie Net did little to keep the water out.

Thanks, Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

How about both upper and lower seal? I could use both.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hi Jeff,
      Are those seals for the Yamaha bags instaead of the PacificoÉ
      If so I have Yamaha bags you know where I am going
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Go to the nearby, FRIENDLY body shop and have a look through their books. You should still be able to buy the seals, though you may need to buy a 50' box. Use the old, working seal to check the cross section, and get as close as you can to a match. I know they could be had about 8 years ago, but I'm not sure today as I no longer have that type of luggage. When you find it, let the rest of us know and you should be able to cover your cost by selling the rest of the box here!
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

A couple of other places you could check.... Try some RV suppliers, as you sometimes find similar seals on some of that stuff. Also take a look at McMaster-Carr online, they sell all kinds of 'stuff'. Look at 'rubber' under 'raw materials', also edge trim and weatherstripping in 'hardware'. They do sell in smaller quantities, worth a look....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Steele Rubber Products sells extrusions by the foot. Metro sells extrusions by the foot. Soff Seal also has a comprehensive list of extrusions.

Contact one of them, explain what you have, and see what they com up with.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Just be careful about not building the gap too high with whatever you choose. The plastic is old and brittle and the hinges could break plastic if force is used to close the lids. The top seal for the lid is supposed to overlap the bottom weather stripping on the style of bags that I have (from an 81H).
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
              03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Working...
              X