gas gage schematic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas gage schematic

I am trying to get the gas gage to work on my 79 Standard. It has been a year long project and this is like the last thing to fix.

I have ohmed out the gas tank and it is correct with 8 ~ 80 ohms. I have ohmed out the wires from the tank connector to the tach housing and also good.

My Clymer manual on page 185 shows 7 volts from the voltage regulator and wire color should be red/blk. But at the back of the book looking at the 79 XS1100F schematic it shows that the fuel gage has three wires, brown (12V), White (Stator), and green (to tank).

Now, I don't have a red/blk wire at the regulator or at the tach housing. Also no 7 volts anywhere with only the key turned on as the manual said to do.

I did swap the other tach gage from another bike and it didn't move either when pluged in and key turned on.

I haven't tried with the tank on and motor running. I was wondering if the white wire from the stator to the tach was making the 7 volts that page 185 was refering too when it was running. Maybe I just need to roll it outside and crank it up, but it is getting late and I needed to walk away.
    79 XS11

What the Clymer manual doesn't tell you is that 'regulator' is the 'black box' attached to the tach housing; you'll have to pull the tach out of it's outer shell to see it....

You should have 7 volts to ground on the green wire coming out of the tach to the sending unit.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

OH really! I guess I will be looking at it in a different light tomorrow night.
      79 XS11

Comment

The first tach doesn't have any voltage out of the black box voltage regulator from inside of the tach housing. But my second one does. So, I swapped out and will try it out tomorrow.
        79 XS11

Comment

Gas Gauge Schematic

I just had the power supply on my 79 standard go out. I replaced the power supply with one recommended elsewhere in the forum - i thick it was a 7078 or something like that. Cost less than 5 bucks delivered! It is a small unit, so some care is needed when connecting to the wires. Once installed, the gauge worked perfectly! One of the easier fixes to date!

Keith
          Current:
          1979 XS11F - "Sigmund"
          1975 Triumph T150V - "Ralph"
          1975 Honda CB125S - "Blue" - built for my daughter to learn on.
          1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550 - yet another bike that needs me! It followed me home...

Previous:
          1975 Norton Commando
          1969 Triumph Tiger 650
          2002 Yamaha YZ250F

Comment

Is that a solidstate volt regulator unit normally used for electronics?
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
            X