1978 xs11 price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 xs11 price

Looking at buying this bike 1360829706/**http://littlerock.craigslist.org/mca/ it runs good has good tires he will take less. Is this a decent price?

Not sure as I scrolled through 300 ads and copied and pasted the number but never found what you are looking at. Price is based on what you will pay for it and not what anyone else will. if it speaks to you and you can see yourself fixing it then for sure have a look see.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Link doesn't take me to an add, just a search result and I didn't see anything in there that was a xs.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

link

Try this dont think I had it all. http://littlerock.craigslist.org/mcy/3580666910.html

Comment

I usually think that for an xs1100 to be worth $1000 it has to have servicable brakes, good not rusty exhuast, and run. The important things I look for seem to be ok on that one. I definetly wouldn't pay $1,500. Not many people would I don't think. Offer him $800. Try ti find as many things wrong with it as you can.
          1979 XS1100 SF
          1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
          1981 KZ650CSR
          2006 VTX 1300C
          1986 Radian 600

Comment

$$$

Originally posted by razorbackxs View Post
            From the add, looks to be a fair price and if, as you say, he will come down, then I would say,ride it 1st at ALL speeds. Hit 2nd gear hard on the gas to see if it pops out, check it over close and see what info he has on how he has maintained it Good luck with your bike, and many here will help if we can
            1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
            1980 XS1100 Special
            1990 V Max
            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
            1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
            1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
            1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Decent price; all the hard-to-find bits look to be there and in good shape; look the exhaust over really well, as that's one of the hardest parts to find in good condition. Obviously has had some parts swapped/replaced, what with the mismatched paintwork and the fuel tank is a '79 version. But those are minor issues....
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Knowing each market area is different, but good clean running standards are bringing $900-1200 around me. Specials are a bit lower from about $500 -$1000.
                1978 XS1100E , 1979 Special, 1980 XS11 Standard, 1978 & 79 XS750.

2nd Gear is Waaayyyy Overrated !!

Comment

Looks pretty nice,if he is saying 1,500.00 I'd say 1,200.00 would be a fair offer if it's running good. Only 24k mileage isn't bad either. Take it for a good long ride for sure and as mentioned check out the 2nd gear shifting.
                  Good luck.
                  81 H

Comment

Price

If it helps I paid $1500- for Yami, a 79 Special. Came with decent saddle bags and rear box and Vetter fairing. It runs real sweet and even better when I put on a 4 into 1 exhaust.
                    I will probably spend more than the purchase price over time, buying new parts like shocks.
                    But even if I spend money on Yami I think of it as a $1500- bike that runs faster than a lot of new stuff.
                    I bought Yami in the Vancouver area of BC.
                    Unkle Crusty

Comment

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I say, treat the owner with respect, he is fellow XS owner, how would like to be treated?
                      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                      1980 XS1100 Special
                      1990 V Max
                      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                        I say, treat the owner with respect, he is fellow XS owner, how would like to be treated?
                        good call.... and keep in mind, regardless of the $$ amount, a "good deal" is when both the buyer and seller is happy with the price.
                        1978 XS1100E , 1979 Special, 1980 XS11 Standard, 1978 & 79 XS750.

2nd Gear is Waaayyyy Overrated !!

Comment

From looking at it in the ad, as Steve said, if the exhaust is in as good of condition internally as it is externally, it alone would sell for more than half the asking price. It looks to be fairly unmolested, except the mismatch paint, which is a minor thing.

Do give it a good look over, and ask when all the maintenance was done, things like changing fork oil, adjusting the valves, re-greasing the final drive, swing arm bearings, and steering head bearings.

For a nice running ready to ride bike, that is a good price in my opinion. It is just a little early in the season for asking that money. That would be an easy sell at that price around me in late March, April, or May time period.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Looks like a decent price to me. Not a steal, but an honest deal. The time of year really doesn't matter in that part of the country, as it doesn't really get too cold to ride there. As was mentioned, all the parts look to be there, and they are in decent shape. I see some rust on the handlebar mounts, but that could easily be cleaned up. Even if it does need a carb cleaning/adjustment, or the 2nd gear fix done, I'd say that's a decent price for a bike in that shape.
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

Well it might just be the photos....

......but that bike looks bent!!

It looks like its had a head on collision, the fork angle looks too steep.

You can tell if it has had a front end shunt by checking the front middle M6 cap screw holding down the cam cover, if the screw looks like it'll unscrew out clear of the little frame cross tube its OK, if it looks like the frame tube is over the top of the screw its bent. And furthermore, its an engine mounts unbolting, carb removal, exhausts off job to move the motor to get the screw out to do the shims.

But there again it could be the photos
                              Before buying check out the cam cover screw!!!

Tom
                              1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                              1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                              1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                              1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
                              X