Starter just spins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter just spins

Last fall my wife’s XJ was having stating problem on and off. Sometime the starter would just spin and not engage the engine. Usually after about3 or 4 try’s it would turn over and start. Yesterday my son tried to start it and it was a no go. (The temp was a balmy 29* F) So he opted to take my venture which was a better option for cold weather riding. When I got home from work I also tried to start the XJ and had the same problem.

Is this symptoms of the starter clutch going out or is there maybe something else going on here?
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

If the starter motor itself is turning, you can hear it spinning, but the engine is not, then yes, it sounds like the starter clutch is in need to attention. The only other option is if your battery is low on volts and possibly not spinning the starter fast enough to engage the clutch.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I the starter clutch the same in all the XS/XJ1100? I have a 78 engine with a hole in piston #3 and in the uper case that I could pull the starter clutch from if need be.

I will double check the voltage on the battery before taking anything apart.
      Ty

Comment

Looks to be. According to the Parts Fiche, all the major XJ starter clutch parts are the same 2H7 part numbers as the E engine. Did not look at all the parts, but enough to feel pretty confident they are identical. That and I know the only major change was the YICS components in the XJ.

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Don't be in a rush to change the starter clutch out. Yes, that's the likely problem, but they're noted for doing this in cold weather. You might try 'wrapping' the bike and putting some heat under it; that might 'fix' the problem.

This may be the main reason Yamaha recommended 10W oil when temps get low....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I agree, it's the cold, I had the same problem.
            1978 XS1100E
            1982 XJ650RJ Seca
            2001 Yamaha XT225
            2002 Suzuki DR650
            2008 Suzuki DL650 VStrom
            AMA charter life member

Comment

Come to think of it, the bike still has the 20/50 oil in it. I'll try changing the oil to the recommended cold weather weight.

If the problem persists does changing the starter clutch involve splitting the case? Not that is a problem just would need to prioritize my time with the other projects I have.
              Ty

Comment

Originally posted by tcoop View Post
                If the problem persists does changing the starter clutch involve splitting the case? Not that is a problem just would need to prioritize my time with the other projects I have.
                Yep, you have to split the cases....
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I always have to change the oil to a lower viscosity in the fall, then bump back up to 20w/50 in the Spring. I know its time to change when I get the same symptoms you are describing.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

I'm here to learn, so......

Any idea what "wears out" on these clutches? I just looked at the parts diagram. It looks like there are three rollers (dowels), springs, and spring caps. Is it the dowel, the ramps, or both that wear out?

It looks like a "new" starter clutch is no longer available. So one option is to put in a used unit, and it sounds like that will work for tcoop. Would rebuilding be an option for others? What would it take? Bigger rollers/dowels? Stronger springs? Machining/touch-up of the ramps?

I feel like I should apologize here...I don't have this problem, but I'm always interested in learning about what can go wrong, and how to prevent or fix it!
                    '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
                    '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

I have only seen the unit as a whole when I took apart my wrecked bikes engine. So I do not know for sure. I do still have it and it worked great when taken out.

I can also say that in the years I have been a member of this site I have only heard / read of maybe three people having an issue with the starter clutch that I can recall. So it is far from a common problem.

Your best defense against it having issues is a good offense. Meaning, keep the bike tuned and carbs clean so it fires up easily and you do not need to crank and crank on it. But again, this is not a common issue.

And for my own personal experience, I have yet to change oil viscosity over the winter, and I have yet to find this to be an issue. But I also do not ride below 40 degrees, and store by bikes in an unheated garage, but it is attached and insulated.

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Okay, cool. That's great that it's not a huge problem on these bikes.

It seems like people have more frequent trouble with starter clutches on Kawasaki's, based on what I see in the used market. I was considering trading my truck for a Kawasaki ZX6E with starter issues...I wonder how often their problems are also due to oil viscosity.
                        '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
                        '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

+1 on the Kawasaki issue. On one rescue bike, the ZX750, the spring that pushes one of the rollers crimped against the passage in the small metal cap that is supposed to contain it, so one roller never engaged, and the starter clutch would spin, but not the engine. On another, the metal cracked within the two cover disks and it could only occasionally apply enough pressure to turn the engine. My XS has not yet failed in that regard, so I have something else to look forward to.
                          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

I received a little blip from a fellow xsive a few years ago regarding the starter clutch, just never got around to posting it. Here it is.

Just to tell you about something I tried,my starter clutch packed up completely,and I couldn`t get one anywhere,so I put my old one in my lathe, and polished it on the bearing surface.

Well, it`s working perfect,so I`m stoked.

regards,

Lionel
                            ProPropellor
                            So..I'm thinking that the starter shaft had some rough spots on it so the starter clutch rollers couldn't grab it, too rough, rollers bouncing due to the rough spots, so they couldn't pinch/squeeze/grab the shaft. He apparently turned the starter shaft smooth on his lathe, then reassembled it all and worked well.

Rebuild kits are available... www.partsnmore.com .

Fits: XS1100 (78-81)
                            Starter Clutch Repair Kit

#24-5003 | Yamaha XS1100 (1978-1981)

Starter Clutch Repair Kit US$ 28.00
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...