Totally new electrical system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally new electrical system?

Having read around a bit about potential mods/upgrade/repairs and inherent weaknesses of the XS electrical system I started wondering.....

Let me state first of all though, I have very little knowledge of electricals!

Is there any reason that a completely new, alien electrical system couldn't be transplanted into the bike? Perhaps a more modern one from a different bike, or even a best-of-the-best mish-mash of parts that don't inherently fail? I.E different fuse system, different reg/rectifier?

Given my desire to strip my bike to bare basics, I'm looking at having the absolute minimum of electrical items anyway, so during the process of stripping and rebuilding my bike this has got to be worth considering, right? My current system looks a mess, so it seems like a good idea to make a commitment one way or another prior to starting the strip-down.

I'm happy to make a big commitment in time if it results in a solid reliable electrical system, rather than spend hours patching and repairing a 34 year old set-up and forever chasing gremlins after it's finished!

Any thoughts? Talk to my like an idiot, I don't know my ohms from my amps frankly!
    79 SF

Well, if you aren't conversant with electrical systems, I suggest that you leave the stock one in there. You will have a schematic, and when you have problems, others on the board will be able to look at the schematic and give you pointers on trouble shooting the problem.
    If you have a custom system, only the person who made it will know what went where, and how. Not to mention that the plugs and connectors would be a lot of work to make up, and to not have them would make servicing the bike a real pain. Not to mention the trouble of finding enough colors of wires to make a new harness.
    The stock system is not that bad. Most of the problems come from a lack of maintenance by previous owners, or downright vandalism by same. (A lack of electrical knowledge can result in some real butchery of the electrical's.)
    My advice is to leave it stock.
    CZ

Comment

I have to agree with CZ, if you are not good with electrics, leave that to someone who is. There are a few of them on your side of the pond, so that should not be a problem.
      The fuse box can be replaced easily with one from TC, and if you don't want the self canceling turn signals you can go with LED bulbs to save Amps for something else. Other than that if you are going for a cafe or bobber, you don't need to worry about anything EXCEPT the grounds. Make sure ALL GROUND WIRES ARE CLEAN and you will stop 90% of the problems BEFORE they start.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

As one who has built a few wiring harnesses, the advice you've been given is excellent. Building a harness is a rather major undertaking, and not for a novice. The OEM harness isn't inherently bad, most issues can be traced to poor connections, generally from corrosion. And 'stripping' unused wires out of the harness is pretty much a waste of time, as any weight/complexity savings will be about zero. One problem is the XS11 wiring is rather unique, and there just isn't very many 'exchange' parts that won't require some serious rewiring, generally for very little gain.

With the exception of the fusebox, most electrical bits on these are pretty reliable if care is taken in making sure all the contact points are clean. The hand controls can be taken apart (carefully!) and cleaned in most cases, same goes for the lighting. Some of the harness plugs can get bad, but these are fairly easily replaced. A properly repaired OEM harness will be the equal of a scratch-built one (for far less money!), do some research on proper methods.

Here's some troubleshooting guides:
        http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35337
        http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35339
        http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35338
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

While I too am no electrical guru, I have paid attention to the issues as they pop up on the site. What I have seen over the years is that the biggest problem is a lack of clean connections. Grounds, and or connectors primarily. While your in the cleaning mode, clean up the key switch, and have a look at the stop run switch cleaning that as well.

Do that, along with the upgrade fuse box that TC sells or one similar, and you will have gone a LONG way to eliminating the electrical gremlins.

No if your looking for other things to do now and not later, perhaps get a Geezer Reg/Rect. And go ahead and splice in new wires for the pick-up coils.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Like Steve I have made many wiring looms for different customers custom builds, most folk can build pretty good bikes but when it comes to wiring I end up with a lot of work coming my way (not complaining )

So if you ain't good at wiring forget it. The XS1100 wiring is good, there are a few faults that, as already said, are very easy to fix.

As for using a modern bike system, your problems arise because most modern bikes come with a full fuel and ignition ECU, those need lots of sensors which your bike ain't got, more work and lots more wiring, doing that you certainly ain't simplifying your wiring. If you use a wiring system from a bike earlier than ECU's you'll be looking at something very similar to what your XS1100 already has, so why bother!!??

I have drawn a couple of much simplified wiring loom diagrams for making looms for chops, bobbers, I'll email them to you if you like. Though again as already said, just leave yours alone and fix any faults.

Tom
            1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
            1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
            1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
            1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Thanks for the wise words guys, sounds like it's not so bad after all! Shame there isn't much to lose, though. Looking at the spaghetti junction behind the headlight just baffles me as to why so much wiring is need to turn a bloody light on and off!

Given the poor state of pretty much all my switches, lights, speedos etc, I'll most likely swap them out for basic, slimline aftermarket systems. Is this straightforward enough on an XS or would I be better off with original aprts? Things like self-cancelling signals and that fancy auto-switching headlight don't excite me.
              79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Intro2pete View Post
                Let me state first of all though, I have very little knowledge of electricals!

Talk to my like an idiot, I don't know my ohms from my amps frankly!
                I think you answered your own question, your switches, lights and wiring will be easier to fix than installing new aftermarket kit.
                Tom
                1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg

Comment

I've probably been a bit hard on myself - I'm a fast learner and up for getting stuck in to anything! What do you think now....?

79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Intro2pete View Post
                    What do you think now....?
                    The same as before, fix what you have, your wiring looks Ok, needing work but still much easier than renewing it. You already have the fuse box mod installed I see.

There is always the option of buying another decent XS1100 wiring loom but I'd repair the one you have, these boys will supply anything you need CLICK

There is still the offer of the XS1100 simplified wiring diagram

Tom

Comment

Ah OK thanks Tom, pre-modded suits me just fine! I thought it looked a bit un-original with that chunk of white wood.

I'll take you up on your offer Tom, it'll be a while before I decide what to do anyway!

Cheers
                      79 SF

Comment

Working...
                      X