cycle sound installation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cycle sound installation?

So,I finally got my cycle sound wired,should I buy the brackets of E-bay or make my own? How did you all install your's?
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
    So,I finally got my cycle sound wired,should I buy the brackets of E-bay or make my own? How did you all install your's?
    With it together, set the housing in the fairing for reference and for bracket measurements. Make two 'L' brackets, one for each side. They will bolt to left upper(left side) and right upper(right side speaker mount holes and to lower windshield stud that have the 'clippy'. That's all that's needed and will be the same as original mount. Might even go to HomeDepot or similar and buy a couple 'L' brackets that would be the size/lenght needed. I just made mine as I remembered what the originals looked like. The inside of fairing has extra covered hot leads and ground. Maybe someone will post a pic of housing mounted, as my Venturer has a bike cover on it and is hard to get to right now being in corner of man-cave behind my Honda ST.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks Moto,So I put the angled brace in between the speaker cover and the speaker?and then screw it back down? Seems to me,there will be a space that is visible between the speakers.I hope it won't be to noticeable.I'm kinda picky about the way my bike looks,anybody have a close-up they can post of where the angled mount hooks to the speaker? Hope it doesn't make a difference that I'm not using the original cycle sound speaker grille's,I like these better.Thanks for the help.
      FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
      1999 Vulcan classic-sold
      1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

There is actually an indent in the cyclesounds unit itself that will allow for the bracket. It then allows the speaker grills to lay flat on the surface.

From the windshield side, looking down:

1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

oh,ok,thanks Bug.I guess I missed that part.Thanks for the pic's. Hopefully I can get it mounted this weekend if it gets alittle warmer.
          FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
          1999 Vulcan classic-sold
          1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

one more question,is the hot wire in the fairing hot all the time,or works off the ignition? With this stereo you need to have one full time hot wire for the memory on the radio. Then one hot wire off ignition to keep the radio lights off.If that makes sense.
            FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
            1999 Vulcan classic-sold
            1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
              one more question,is the hot wire in the fairing hot all the time,or works off the ignition? With this stereo you need to have one full time hot wire for the memory on the radio. Then one hot wire off ignition to keep the radio lights off.If that makes sense.
              My fairing, being factory original to the bike has both a 'hot all the time' and 'with ign. on'. You can run a wire inside a piece of clear tubing to protect it more, then run it from steering neck, top-side of one of the frame rails to the battery if you want to keep the clock/memory function, just depends on if the fairing has both options inside off the wiring harness. BTW, having the stereo housing mounted up in there adds additional support to eliminate fairing flexing when bike hits one of those 'wheel-popper' pop holes. Have seen a few of the Vetter fairings that have a split in center at the base where windshield attaches. Imagine age of these and loss of flexability doesn't help any.
              Last edited by motoman; 02-04-2013, 06:22 PM.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thought it would strengthen it up a bit,thanks for the help.Sorry for putting thisin the wrong place.
                FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
                1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Yeah, the Vetter wiring harness has a wire to connect to an "always hot" wire in the headlight bucket. I believe it is the brown wire, but I'm not sure where it connects in the headlight bucket. The Red wire for the cig. lighter is the "hot with ingition" wire.

The one thing to be aware of is that there is only one ground for the whole fairing, and it's a rather small wire. I use the stock wire without issues, running an HD radio in the cyclesounds, and I have a cig. lighter that I use for charging my phone on trips. However, I have never used both at the same time. I also don't have my Fiamm horns mounted inside the fairing where they were designed to go. I wouldn't trust that wimpy wiring for the current those horns require.
                  Last edited by CatatonicBug; 02-05-2013, 04:59 PM.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                  X