80 Special Colours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 Special Colours

Hi there, Im new to this site and have just acquired a 1980 XS1100 Special, it is painted a very dark metallic purple, looks black from a distance. Im trying to figure out if this is the original color, I have my doubts as the rear mudguard is black.

Mark
    NewZealand
    80 SG
    93 ST1100 Honda
    66 split screen VW bus

IF you look at THIS FAQ, it gives the factory colors for each year and model based on VIN.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Colors

Other than taking an existing painted part of the bike to have it color matched, are there newer paint numbers that can be mixed?

MP
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        IF you look at THIS FAQ, it gives the factory colors for each year and model based on VIN.
        Ok, according to that my bike was either Black Red or New Ruby Red, would the very dark purple on mine ( as I see it ) be the Black Red ? Dont suppose anyone has a pic of the Black Red ?
        80 SG
        93 ST1100 Honda
        66 split screen VW bus

Comment

The Black Red is Black with red flake. You only see the red fleks in the sunlight.

I bet you have the New Ruby Red...Here is a New Ruby Red tank, with 30 years of age on it....

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

The Black Red is Black with red flake. You only see the red fleks in the sunlight.

I bet you have the New Ruby Red...Here is a New Ruby Red tank, with 30 years of age on it....
            So does it look purple up close and is your rear mudguard black ...
            80 SG
            93 ST1100 Honda
            66 split screen VW bus

Comment

Yes it does look almost purple up close. More of a plum color. The rear fender or mud guard on mine is chrome. What is the VIN first three in yours? I do know that Oceanic or European versions are different than US versions in some ways, like colors of parts. But it is not uncommon for the fenders to be painted if the chrome gets to pitted, done it myself. Or the PO may have needed to replace the fender and they found one from a MNS that was factory chromed in black chrome finish.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Rear mudguard underneath is black on mine and a chrome fender.And i have the black red tank but doesn't look purple.More black than anything.
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                xschop K & N air filter setup
                Dynojet Recalibration kit
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
                  Rear mudguard underneath is black on mine and a chrome fender.And i have the black red tank but doesn't look purple.More black than anything.
                  Mudguard = fender for the folks down there. The RH ('81 Special, Oceana version) version had black fenders just like the Midnight Specials, so that may be how they put the '80 Special together for the Oceana version as well.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Yes it does look almost purple up close. More of a plum color. The rear fender or mud guard on mine is chrome. What is the VIN first three in yours? I do know that Oceanic or European versions are different than US versions in some ways, like colors of parts. But it is not uncommon for the fenders to be painted if the chrome gets to pitted, done it myself. Or the PO may have needed to replace the fender and they found one from a MNS that was factory chromed in black chrome finish.
                    Yes plum is probably a better description . My VIN is 7A8......... and engine # 3J6......... which is also stamped on the steering head next to VIN . The bike has a chrome front mud guard ( fender ) and came with a spare one painted the same color as the bike which may be the original one. The guy I bought it off reckoned its possibly the only one in N.Z. Can any Kiwi members confirm that ?
                    80 SG
                    93 ST1100 Honda
                    66 split screen VW bus

Comment

Hi Mark,
                      that FAQ don't list an Oceana XS11SG at all, never mind what the colour was.
                      So, is the FAQ wrong or is the bike an import or are you sure about what the bike's model year is or if it's a Standard instead of a Special?
                      But WTF, paint it whatever colour you like.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        Hi Mark,
                        that FAQ don't list an Oceana XS11SG at all, never mind what the colour was.
                        So, is the FAQ wrong or is the bike an import or are you sure about what the bike's model year is or if it's a Standard instead of a Special?
                        But WTF, paint it whatever colour you like.
                        Im just curious if its the factory paint or not, according to the FAQ its a USA bike which is quite possible down here. Its definitely a Special, heres a pic here
                        80 SG
                        93 ST1100 Honda
                        66 split screen VW bus

Comment

Originally posted by xs650man View Post
                          Im just curious if its the factory paint or not, according to the FAQ its a USA bike which is quite possible down here. Its definitely a Special, - - -
                          Hi Mark,
                          '80 Special for sure but somebody's made a few changes.
                          Front disks ain't slotted although the rear is. (XS11SG has all 3 disks slotted)
                          Aftermarket exhaust.(Mostly the stockers have rusted away)
                          Blacked out alternator cover.(XS11SG has a polished cover)
                          Black rear mudguard. (XS11SGs had both mudguards in chrome)
                          The paint looks black in the photo and it seems to be the same black on the tank, sidecover and mudguard.
                          I can't tell from the photo if it's Yamaha red black or plain ol' basic black.
                          And as I discovered when trying to fix a blemish on a BMW tank there's all manner of different shades of black around and they are mostly just 50 shades of very dark grey.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                            Hi Mark,
                            '80 Special for sure but somebody's made a few changes.
                            Front disks ain't slotted although the rear is. (XS11SG has all 3 disks slotted)
                            Aftermarket exhaust.(Mostly the stockers have rusted away)
                            Blacked out alternator cover.(XS11SG has a polished cover)
                            Black rear mudguard. (XS11SGs had both mudguards in chrome)
                            The paint looks black in the photo and it seems to be the same black on the tank, sidecover and mudguard.
                            I can't tell from the photo if it's Yamaha red black or plain ol' basic black.
                            And as I discovered when trying to fix a blemish on a BMW tank there's all manner of different shades of black around and they are mostly just 50 shades of very dark grey.
                            Yeah I noticed the front discs arnt slotted and the Alt. cover has had a small repair hence the paint. Yes the tank ect look black but they are very dark purple/plum. I think the whole front wheel/ brakes maybe off a different model as the face of the spokes arnt polished like the back wheel .
                            80 SG
                            93 ST1100 Honda
                            66 split screen VW bus

Comment

Originally posted by xs650man View Post
                              I think the whole front wheel/ brakes maybe off a different model as the face of the spokes arnt polished like the back wheel .
                              I think you're right; the rotors look too small to be XS11. If the fronts are smaller than the rear, somebody has swapped a 750/850 front end onto it. The rear fender has been shortened too...
                              Last edited by crazy steve; 02-05-2013, 03:53 AM.
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                              X