Good Cheap Insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Cheap Insurance?

I hope to be riding very soon and need to get insurance and hopefully a tag. My wife checked around on-line last night looking for me some insurance. I know that there are a dozen of potential ways to go, but wondered what you guys and gals use?
    The bike that I have been working on for almost a year hasn't had a tag for years so I can't wait to go to the tag office and see what kind of fun I am going to have there!
    79 XS11

Originally posted by Bartman View Post
    I hope to be riding very soon and need to get insurance and hopefully a tag. My wife checked around on-line last night looking for me some insurance. I know that there are a dozen of potential ways to go, but wondered what you guys and gals use?
    The bike that I have been working on for almost a year hasn't had a tag for years so I can't wait to go to the tag office and see what kind of fun I am going to have there!
    U have a cage insured and drive don't U?...............................best bet is use same provider........maybe get a multi vehicle discount.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

My home and car insurance company is much more than progressive.
      79 XS11

Comment

geico

Use Geico,,,,hands down the cheapest, at least here in California. I have three xs1100's and a xs750 insured for under 200 for the year. Just tell them you go low milage and store in a garage- much cheaper...........Mike in Sun DIego
        mike
        1982 xj1100 maxim
        1981 venture bagger
        1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
        1959 wife

Comment

State Farm

Are you happy with your current insurance, other than price? I have State Farm, and have been fortunate to never have to deal with any claims. Several family members have, and they've had nothing but positive outcomes, as far as I'm aware. I just have liability on most of my vehicles. For motorcycles, the price seems to be based on engine size.

Me: 26 year old male in Wisconsin
          Here are the approximate prices for liability on motorcycles, based on several quotes I received:
          650cc and over - $132
          250cc - 650cc - $106
          250cc and under - $73

I do have other forms of insurance with State Farm, so I get a small multi-line discount (not reflected in these prices). To be perfectly honest, I'm pissed that I have to pay anything at all extra for additional motorcycles/vehicles. It's not like I can ride them all at once and multiply the liability I represent to them. But I'm not going to solve that one no matter where I get my insurance.
          '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
          '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

insurance

good cheap insurance? be very careful, sometimes these terms are mutually exclusive! like most things in life you get what you pay for. fwiw, for several years now i have been insuring my vintage bikes through hagerty. they are a great company for insuring old vehicles. i pay about $180/year for full value coverage with no exclusions, full value replacement, no deductible, no mileage limits, towing, etc. and since i insure the bike as a vintage/classic then i also don't have to go through arizona's emissions testing. it's really a great deal for me. check it out.

Comment

If I could, I'd have everything with Progressive. I have full coverage on my bike with them, and pay $16/mo. They won't insure my house because of the drop in home values in my area, and in order to get a decent rate, I had to switch my house to Farmers, along with full coverage on my cage. The Farmers agent even told me not to bother switching the bike, because he knew it would cost more with them.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

IF your looking for full coverage on your bike, you want to be careful who you go with and what they tell you. If your strictly looking for liability, then its hard to go wrong really. What you do want to do is make sure your comparing apples to apples, meaning how much coverage your getting for the price, how about uninsured motorist?

I have been with State Farm all my life, same agent since I started driving in 1983. He has treated me exceptionally well over the years, especially during my younger years when traffic stops were part of my weekly budget. I do have everything including life insurance with them, and get multi-car, accident free, and other random discounts. My bike runs me about $125 a year for liability, and uninsured motorist.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                  IF your looking for full coverage on your bike, you want to be careful who you go with and what they tell you. If your strictly looking for liability, then its hard to go wrong really. What you do want to do is make sure your comparing apples to apples, meaning how much coverage your getting for the price, how about uninsured motorist?

I have been with State Farm all my life, same agent since I started driving in 1983. He has treated me exceptionally well over the years, especially during my younger years when traffic stops were part of my weekly budget. I do have everything including life insurance with them, and get multi-car, accident free, and other random discounts. My bike runs me about $125 a year for liability, and uninsured motorist.
                  +1......bout the same time, and as a result a GoldMember(never can be cancelled)......$6 a month on the XS(liability) and $9 a month on the ST(full coverage).....with house and all, recieve a multi-line discount.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Bart, why don`t you call Pam(our sis who works for State Farm). I`ve got my 1982 Harley through Geico and I called her just for a comparison. I`ve got more than the liability on mine and the same coverage with State Farm is comparable. The reason I`ve got more is because I ride in Atlanta. The country roads you travel, liability is probably all you need. Steve

Comment

I do not know if Blue Circle is available down there but up here in Canada it is much the same as Haggerty's, with the exception that they only insure motorbikes. They may have moved to other areas and if they have I do not know.
                      During my last convo with the agent he said he will insure all my bikes for one price as I am the only rider in the household. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with as a quote as insuring each bike seperaetly is costing me a lot. I pay 135 bucks a year on each for public liability and public damage a year now.
                      Like I say it may not be an option there but here I am talking with the guy to see if his prices and coverage are an option for me.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

As my brother said, I will check with State Farm. I have every thing else with her but when I had my Mean Streak it was a lot more and I used progressive.
                        79 XS11

Comment

i use progressive bike insurance full coverage with comprehensive that includes road side assistance and towing for 74 dollars a year. leslie keys insurance google it and give them a call.
                          1982 xj 1100
                          "The Ape"
                          http://youtu.be/AiQ8CqclHr4

Comment

I have state farm and pay about $16 a month.

I would stay away from Geico personally. They started canceling all insurace for gun manufacturing companies just because they felt like it. (Delete if you want Steve)
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by XJfan1 View Post
                              i use progressive bike insurance full coverage with comprehensive that includes road side assistance and towing for 74 dollars a year. leslie keys insurance google it and give them a call.
                              Uuum, it seems that there is a Leslie Kays insurance in Boynton Beach, which has this feedback;

aaaanonymous 09/14/2011

This agency has horrible customer…

This agency has horrible customer service and is wicked expensive for what you get out of it. Found 100/300 coverage with a lower deductible and higher coverage limits for less money. Not to mention some of the things they dare say to their customers would astonish you. My husband tried to get them to look for better rates/coverage so we wouldn't have to switch, but when they could not deliver, he cancelled the policy and they said, well I don't know what you made me do all that work for? UGH, disgusted. I would strongly recommend to seek coverage elsewhere. Not worth the crap for the horrible coverage anyway.

But no Leslie Keys Insurance.
                              Do you have a contact number, or is this one of the indepedent agencies down on the corner?

That is a price worth looking into. CZ

Comment

Working...
                              X