Kerker exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerker exhaust

i have a lead on a Kerker xs11 exhaust ,,my problem is the owner does n,t know the year ?? will all fit each xs11 year,s thanks and ride safe ,,slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Mo, the engine is the same on all years and model, so that end will be fine. The muffler section requires a bracket to adjust for mount location, so I would think that would work no matter the year or model. Look in the picture below, it is a black bracket that blends in with the swing arm. You can see the mounting bolt on the muffler, and the other end attaches to the normal exhaust mounting bolt that you can just see in front of the rear foot peg on the foot peg bracket.

So without knowing exactly, I would say, yes, it should be interchangeable with any year Special model. Not so certain on the Standard models, I could see where the rear footpeg might cause problems with the muffler as shown.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Not trying to high jack your thread, but I have an exhuast related question as well. I am in the middle of restoring a '79 F and the exhuast was toast. I have a set of good super trap 4-1 exhuast from a '81 special parts bike I had. I painted the exhuast and installed it this last weekend and to my surprise the center hits. Is there a difference in center stand mounting locations from standard to special? I would have sworn that the center stand worked on the parts bike with the exhuast.

The exhuast looks and sounds great, but I may be looking for a 4-2 as having a usable center stand is very important to me.
      1979 XS1100 SF
      1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
      1981 KZ650CSR
      2006 VTX 1300C
      1986 Radian 600

Comment

I have the same muffler on a bike i bought to work on next spring,
        The pipe has a very large diameter header pipe. Almost 2 1/2" from my memory.

Has anyone ever put on a glass pack on this header?

I will not be home for a month so am not sure of the dia.

The pipe on my bike seemed to mount up fine. Pegs worked fine,
        just no guts in the muffler and muffler is in tough shape.

I am not sure this will allow a center stand.

Comment

Originally posted by conquest87tsi View Post
          Not trying to high jack your thread, but I have an exhuast related question as well. I am in the middle of restoring a '79 F and the exhuast was toast. I have a set of good super trap 4-1 exhuast from a '81 special parts bike I had. I painted the exhuast and installed it this last weekend and to my surprise the center hits. Is there a difference in center stand mounting locations from standard to special? I would have sworn that the center stand worked on the parts bike with the exhaust.
          The only difference between the standard and Special centerstands is the length of the 'foot' you step on to raise the bike; the Special is longer to clear the OEM muffler. Mounting points on the frame are the same.

But the Special does locate the muffler differently because of the relocated rear point, so that might be your problem. The muffler will end up lower installed on a standard.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

[QUOTE=1234loft;400042]I have the same muffler on a bike i bought to work on next spring,

Has anyone ever put on a glass pack on this header?

if you do a search on glass pack or Ivan i think this member ;or former; had a nice red glass pack on his xs11,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
            The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
            moemcnally@hotmail.com
            i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

Comment

slo mo,
              I did a search and came up with a couple of good ideas.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by slow mo View Post
                i have a lead on a Kerker xs11 exhaust ,,my problem is the owner does n,t know the year ?? will all fit each xs11 year,s thanks and ride safe ,,slow mo!
                One other little problem is that the sleeve that is on the end of the pipe that goes into the head comes in two lengths. If you don't mind replacing the studs, then it doesn't matter which length you get. Just another thing to check. You might measure the ones that came out of yours, and have him check his for length.

CZ

Comment

Ivan did have a glass pack on his for a short period of time. In the end he found another set of mufflers for it. The Glass Packs never would tune correctly.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

kerker exhaust

i bought a kerker exhaust to-day for 20 buck,s got a few small holes and a dent or two ,,just thought better have a spare than not ride safe slow mo!
                    moemcnally@hotmail.com
                    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

Comment

Originally posted by slow mo View Post
                      i bought a kerker exhaust to-day for 20 buck,s got a few small holes and a dent or two ,,just thought better have a spare than not ride safe slow mo!
                      wow you cant find much for 20 bucks,sounds like the steal of the century...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Packing

Slow mo,
                        Shortly after I bought my G and got it road ready the baffle inside the can started rattling. Time to pack it. Got a roll of motorcycle fiberglass packing material from my local shop ($20), took the baffle and pipe out, wrapped the glass stuff around it and held in place with thin wire. I then re-installed it, and it's been going great for five years now. The baffle is held in place by a bolt that scews in from the bottom. Use a lot of PB Blaster until it loosens. Not a big deal. Bike ran a lot better after that.
                        1980G Standard, Restored
                        Kerker 4 - 1
                        850 Rear End Mod
                        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                        Automatic CCT
                        1980GH Special, Restored
                        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by conquest87tsi View Post
                          Not trying to high jack your thread, but I have an exhuast related question as well. I am in the middle of restoring a '79 F and the exhuast was toast. I have a set of good super trap 4-1 exhuast from a '81 special parts bike I had. I painted the exhuast and installed it this last weekend and to my surprise the center hits. Is there a difference in center stand mounting locations from standard to special? I would have sworn that the center stand worked on the parts bike with the exhuast.

The exhuast looks and sounds great, but I may be looking for a 4-2 as having a usable center stand is very important to me.
                          Hey there Conquest,

When you say it HITS, what and where? If you're saying that the ENDS of the CenterStand hits when it swings up for riding, then you just need to put a different longer stop bracket on the left side to prevent the CS from coming up too far. My JCW/Mac 4-1 also has a fairly large after collector pipe to muffler that S's thru the centerstand opening to the right side, and I have a several inches long stop bracket that bolts to the left muffler or passenger bolt to stop the CS from swinging up too far! HTH!

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Okay TC I went to the acronym page and no HTH is listed. So what am I missing?
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                              Okay TC I went to the acronym page and no HTH is listed. So what am I missing?
                              Hope This Helps....
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                              X