Oil Pickup Filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pickup Filter?

When I tore my engine apart I discovered that my main bearings had been gouged from foreign particles entering the oil ports. I found crap logged in the oil pump pickup in my gear case.

I looked at the way the oil is pumped through the engine and want to clarify it. It looks to me, like the oil pump picks up the oil, then sends it to a T in the upper case half. From there it splits and goes to the cams, and to the oil filter. From the oil filter it goes to the crank case. So doesn't that mean that the cams are getting unfiltered oil?

Also, I find it strange that my mains suffered damage from foreign material since they are supposedly getting filtered oil. I'm just wondering if anyone has come up with a better screen for the oil pump to prevent this problem. I was thinking of getting some tighter woven stainless steel screen material and installing it in front of the usual oil screen.
    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

hi yard dogg, id be real careful in putting
    anything in front of the original oil screen
    could cause a restriction, if ur oils clean
    and regulary changed then u shouldnt have a problem.

looking at the manual, the oil goes to the filter straight
    from the oil pump.
    clymers pg93
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

When I get my case halves back from their bath, I'll look again.
      "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
        hi yard dogg, id be real careful in putting
        anything in front of the original oil screen
        could cause a restriction, if ur oils clean
        and regulary changed then u shouldnt have a problem.

looking at the manual, the oil goes to the filter straight
        from the oil pump.
        clymers pg93
        +1.......oil sump to pump......pump to filter....first.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yep, but if your filter gets clogged, the bypass valve in the cup bolt will let dirty oil thru to the rest of the engine. Dirty oil is better than no oil, not by much.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

I got my cases back today. I asked the dude at the shop how much crap came out of my oil ports and he told me he spent an hour just cleaning those out. He said there was a lot of crap and metallic stuff in there. I'm glad I spent the $35 on a good cleaning. I wanted to make sure they were degreased and dried thoroughly before I sandblast, LOL. I don't want any sand sticking inside anywhere so I can make sure to blow it all out. I will still tape off everything I can to prevent it, but you can't ever stop all the sand it seems like. Oh, if anyone has one of the tubular placement pins for the crank case halves, I need one cause the shop lost one of them. I'm going to try to find a replacement at Ace, but it seems to be an oddball metric size.

Comment

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
              ...From the oil filter it goes to the crank case.....
              No, the oil from the sump gets sucked up through the oil pump strainer then goes from the pump to the outside of the oil filter, through the filter then up the filter bolt (aka bypass valve) to the crankshaft & cams.

Brian
              XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
              Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                Yep, but if your filter gets clogged, the bypass valve in the cup bolt will let dirty oil thru to the rest of the engine. Dirty oil is better than no oil, not by much.
                phil makes a good point,
                i also remember reading a cpl of years back
                there was something going on with some1s oil filter bolt,
                cant remember exactly i think the ball getting stuck/being pushed up against
                the spring or something, just have a check of the oil filter bolt
                and the way the internals are sitting.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Yeah I looked the case over again and it does appear that the oil gets filtered first. Brain fart. Well, I got my cases painted and lookin sharp. I'm just waiting for a few parts and that baby is going back together. I just ordered paint for the rest of the bike. This XJ will be a force to be reckoned with this spring.

Comment

Lubrication flow

Hi,

It is a good idea to use other than sand to clean your (aluminum) cases. Sand is too aggressive. Glass bead is the better choice.

The oil filter bypass is a necessary evil in most engines due to a number of reasons: cheap filters clogging up, too long between oil changes, and revving an engine when it is cold. Never have figured out why people do that?

Bad thing about the bypass is, when it does open, any trash in the oil goes all through the engine. Good thing about the bypass is that it opens when a filter gets clogged or if the oil is too thick (cold). So, you really do not ever want to block a filter bypass off on a street machine. But you certainly need to be sure that it is working properly.

In racing engines, the bypass is always blocked off. No unfiltered oil ever goes anywhere. The only part that may get damaged in the event of a metal failure is the oil pump itself. But the crank, cam, and bearings remain unscathed. In these engines, the oil is changed very frequently and the oil pressure, which is 80-125 psi, is monitored closely. There is also a light that will come on at 20-30 psi if the filter clogs. This gives you time to react without hurting the engine.

MP
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors
                    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike