Cylinder head resurfacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder head resurfacing?

I'm rebuilding the head on my 79, seals, a bit of porting, etc. I've decked the jugs and am now ready to deck the cylinder head. My question is, is there any way to remove the front and back studs on the bottom of the cylinder head so I don't have to try and surface around them? I double nutted a studs and tried to remove it, but it didn't seem to want to come out. I'm sure the head is probably threaded and the studs are installed with thread sealant. I just wanted to check and see if someone knew before I potentionally broke something

Thank guys

My thoughts would be to heat the stud to break down the thread sealant and then try the double nut removal, if that doesn't budge, then use a pipe wrench to remove it. Fit new studs when reassembling, JAT
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I'm curious why you're decking either. If you have a warp outside spec, I can see it, but keep in mind that this will change your cam timing (retarding the cams) depending on how big a cut you make.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Sorry I guess I should not say deck but just resurfacing. I always surface both sides before installing a new head gasket for proper sealing.

I'll give the heat a shot and see if the budge; just worried about breaking them.

Comment

If you are just trying to get a good mating surface for gasket seal AND you have no warpage then I would disregard any machining and just scuff the clean surface with a scotchbrite pad and use some Coppercoat. Doesn't take much to get a good gasket seal.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Studs

An old trick that I will share with you, and works especially good on NPT threads is: heat the fastener (stud) only. While hot, touch a candle (wax) to the hot stud melting the wax al over the stud. The stud will now come out.

MP
            1981 XS1100H Venturer
            K&N Air Filter
            ACCT
            Custom Paint by Deitz
            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
            Stebel Nautilus Horn
            EBC Front Rotors
            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike