X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
    Meaning the thickest actual bearings?
    Yes.

Sorry my earlier post was a quick watered down version of the explaination I typed out on the UK site.

If you have a very low mileage or new crank then yes I would always advocate measuring properly and using the appropriate shells.
    When talking about replacing shells I would assume we're talking about a crank thats done a few miles, lets face it, if you're looking at replacing crank shells its gonna be on a crank thats highish miles otherwise why would you be replacing them. So assuming the crank is a well used crank the size of the journals is going to be smaller than the lowest machining tolerance for a new crank, still perfectly within wear tolerances which are not to be confused with manufacturers machining tolerances.

The manufacturers machining tolerances and therefore the different selective fit shells difference between top and bottom size is so small (can't remember them off the top of my head) that once the crank has done a good few miles the differnce in shells won't make any difference. This is also to the point where if your crank is well down but still within serviceable wear tolerance any of the different size shells would be a huge improvement over the worn shells you're replacing.

Me personally, I measure the crank to make sure its still useable, then bung in any shells I can get my hands on, and enjoy years more XS1100 riding.

So to summerise, measure your old crank, you'll find its waaaay smaller than bottom original manufacture machining tolerance, so which of the selective fit shells to use is moot anyway.

Again, sorry, not trying to plagiarize, copy, parrot, or steal someones thunder, merely confirm what has been said already

PS, my earlier post had a typo, + 0.00" and -0.02" should have read + 0.000" and -0.002" to get a bottom machined size of 2.002" DOH!

Tom
    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
    X