Battery charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery charger

What is the best method to charge the battery? Do you take the battery out of the bike, or leave it in and charge it? I've seen the 2 amp charger(maybe 1.5 amp) that you leave plugged in and it charges the battery when the battery needs it. Has anyone used this type? if so do you have to check the fluid level in the battery often?

Free
    "Watchout for the guy behind the guy in front of you"

1980 XS 1100 SG

IMHO;

If time and space permits, take the battery out. This allows you to do a general physical check and to clean the connectors and cable ends before putting it back.

Before you open the vent screws, brush off any dust and be careful while they're open that nothing falls inside. Check the electrolyte level and keep it between the high and low marks. Don't overfill it or underfill it. Use only distilled water to top off the electrolye. Tap water is full of minerals that will alter the chemistry of the electrolyte enought to kill the battery.

Charge in a well ventilated area. Lead / Acid batteries generate Hydrogen gas that is explosive (remember the Hindenburg?). As the battery charges, the Hydrogen gas bubbles will form on the plates and their extra volume will make the electrolyte level appear to rise. Periodically, a gentle shake will loosen the bubbles from the plates.

Which charger to use? Santa Claus dropped off a Sears' unit this Xmas and it works great. They sell a small lawn / garden / motorcycle battery charger that can top up a charge on the XS battery overnight. It has a ready light on it so you know when it's done and it automatically trickle charges as needed. You can just leave it connected if you're going to store the bike for a long time and the charger will keep the battery up automatically. There are others like the "Battery Tender" that do the same thing, but I've never used them.

Finally, when you install it, clean the connectors on the battery as well as the cables with a wire brush. After tightening the connections, liberally apply some wheel bearing grease to protect the conections from moisture.

If after all of this, the battery won't hold a chrage, it's time to ditch it for a new one. Don't fret about the charger because it will serve it's purpose keeping your new battery in tip-top shape for years.

Have fun!

Randy

Comment

Just this year I bought a BATTERY TENDER. Works great. It has a float mode. Brings the batteery up to charge then starts a float mode. Only when the battery voltage drops to a certain level will it start charging again. I have three batterys so I just move to each battery once a week or less. It will not boil the battery dry like some battery chargers do.
      Just my 2 CDN cents...
      Tom
      2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
      gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

batteries

i sell batteries and chargers for a living and can safely say the 2 prevous posts are right on the money. never use more than 2 amps on a cycle battery and if its not automatic keep an eye on it. also make sure your drain vent is connected. if you battery vents the battery acid will eat whatever it gets on, and as always when handling any battery wash up afterwards. nothing worse than taking a bike of your lunch sandwich and get that taste of battery in your mouth. trust me been there and done it. also use baking soda to nuetralize any spillage. the average life of a motorsports battery is 1 1/2 years, keep the levels checked and use a maintainer and you can easily double that.

Comment

I'd recommend taking the battery out a couple times a year so you can top up the cells. If your bike is acting like it need to have the battery charged, there's a good chance 1 or more cells are dehydrated. Also while you have the battey out you can clean the connections.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Here's another tip. If you're going to store the battery out of the bike, don't leave it on a concrete floor. Believe it or not, the concrete will sap the warmth from the battery and cause it to discharge at an accelerated rate. Store it on a wooden shelf up off of the floor.

Comment

Just bought a 1.5amp charger from Sears (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=02871220000) and it works like a charm. It was even on sale last week, so your local Sears may still be running the sale. I think it was around $20+tax, so like $10 off the normal price. It includes a permanent connector, which is a set of thin cables that you slide around the battery's terminals and leave in place forever. This way you can connect the chager directly to the connector without fooling with the aligator clips every time.

I left the battery in my bike (81' XS1100LH -midnight ed.)- didn't even disconnect the wiring. Threw the red clip to the positive terminal on the battery, and the the black clip to the spot on the frame where the battery is grounded. Left it overnight and by morning, it was fully charged and had switched over to trickle. It really couldn't get much easier, plus the charger's only a little bigger than a can of PBR to boot. Get's pretty warm though so watch were you leave it laying during a charge.

-Pickman
              Last edited by Pickman; 03-17-2004, 11:27 AM.
              81' XS1100LH "Lady Luck"
              Midnight Ed. turned Special

Comment

Call me dumb, but here in the East we don't have PBR, or do we? What is it??

Randy

Comment

I won't call you dumb, but yeah, you do have it back east...it's Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer. We had it in Maine when I was living there.

Comment

I'm heading to the BIG TOWN, tomorrow(Topeka). Wife has an OB appointment. So I plan to stop off at sears and take a look at the charger. Hopefully it's still on sale. Thanks for all the advice with the charging methods. I appreciate it.

Free
                    "Watchout for the guy behind the guy in front of you"

1980 XS 1100 SG

Comment

I found a small (1/2 amp) battery charger at Gemplers (farm and industrial supplies) for $9.95 several years ago. Price is now up to $12.95. Here is the link:

http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/produ...19045&T1=15600

I use this all the time on my bike an other winter-stored batteries. Auto shut-off, leads, indicator light when charging.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

That Gemplers product looks like a good deal, especially if you've got multiple bikes. AND it's something you can carry with you on a road trip! Very handy, indeed.

Nice job.

Randy

Comment

I have had a Dayton, solid state maintenance charger on my 80g for years. I wired in a small, 2 prong plug to the battery and the mate to the charger. Bent the bracket so the charger would hang on the footpeg. This charger max's at 1-1/2amp and is automatic. I plug it in about once a week since I ride almost everyday. Or if I go away for more than a couple of days, I plug it in. So far I have 4 years on this battery and it still goes strong. Twice a year, I pull the battery to check water and clean connections. Next battery is going to be a gel-cell!!!
                          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I bought a 2 amp battery maintainer/charger at walmart for 16.95.have had it on bike all winter no problems. came with everything needed to hook it up permanently.very convenient and small.can even take it with me if needed.
                            when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
                            80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Working...
                            X