Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midnight rear brake caliper vs special rear brake caliper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midnight rear brake caliper vs special rear brake caliper?

Ok so I have an SG and need to rebuild the rear caliper, found a rebuild kit that specifies that it works for all specials from 79-81. But the same company offers a kit to rebuild a 81 midnight special specifically, and it is $6 less than the all specials kit. My question is this, aren't all rear brakes on all models of 11 the same? If not the same, will at least the LH rebuild kit work in my SG caliper? I tried searching, several times, but never found what I was looking for, so sorry if this is a repost.
    BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
    80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

The 81 Midnight Specials use the same type caliper on the rear as the right front caliper on the 79-81 Special. It's the swively type caliper with the slanted pads. Short explanation, the 81 Midnight Special uses the same braking system (linked) and calipers (front and rear) as the 82 XJ1100. For your 80SG, you can use 80 MNS brake parts, front and rear, just not any 81 parts.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 01-09-2013, 08:16 AM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Ah I see! So that explains the difference! Ok thanks I will grab the one that says it's correct for my bike, even though it is $6 more then. Thanks Phil!
      BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
      80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Working...
      X