Newb question- On/Res/Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb question- On/Res/Off

This post will surely geet a few looks of puzzlement, but I have to ask....

I bought a 81' XS1100 (sort of) Midnight Ed. The tank has been repainted, and so has the fuel selection indicator. On each of the petcocks, which direction is which for On/Res/etc.? I.E.- Tab pointing up, forwards, backwards, or down (from the perspective of sitting on the bike).

Looking forward to posting and reading more. It's nice to have found a website with a wealth of XS info.

-"Pickman"
    81' XS1100LH "Lady Luck"
    Midnight Ed. turned Special

Tank Petcocks

Hey Pickman Take a wire brush and clean the paint &crud off the face of the petcocks. You should find all the info. right there. bkr

Comment

directions

On my 82 xj-11. tab down is on. Tab up reserve. Tab forward off. Tab back Pr1. (prime i think they call it )
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Dunno bout specials, but my standard goes like this:
        Down - on (gas flows when engine running or vacuum applied to vac. hose - connector)
        Tabs forward - reserve (same principle as on position, if engine aint runnin, you can disconnect stuff and gas shouldn't flow)
        Tabs backward - prime (gas flows freely all the time, useful when you need to get some gas into the carbs or when draining the tank)

Hope it helps.

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Petcocks

I have a set of 80 Special taps that read the same as Chevy's . My 84 XJ reads the same. Being a Newbie i thought he needed the EXPERIENCE. LOL. bkr

Comment

Hey there Pickman,

If you'll go to the main page, the LINKS section, you'll find a link to get a copy of the 81H/SH "owner's" manual....not a repair one, but just the basic OEM one, it's about 6MB in PDF format, hope you have DSL/Cable, or it will take about 30minutes with dialup to D/L.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Much obliged to all who posted. This is my first Yamaha (Kaw 77' KZ650, and an '82 Suzi GS1100GLZ), and so far it's a decent bike. Hopefully after some time, TLC, and some $$ it'll be a great bike.

It started out as a Midnight Ed., then someone must have laid it down becasue they had the entire engine, etc. *painted* an aluminum color. They also appear to have BRUSH painted the exhaust black (you can see streaks). The final insult is the kindergarten flame job- black streaks (I wouldn't call them flames) on a deep blue tank. Blek...

In the meantime it runs.

-Pickman
              Last edited by Pickman; 03-17-2004, 08:07 AM.
              81' XS1100LH "Lady Luck"
              Midnight Ed. turned Special

Comment

Petcock selector

The best way to explain it is the selector handle should cover the function you desire. On, handle down. Off, handle to the rear. Res, handle up. Prime, handle to the front. That is providing that the proper petcock is on the proper side. There is a right and a left side petcock.

Comment

Newb

Hey Pickman Anyone who can handle an 1100 Suzi and a Kawasaki over 500 is no Newb. Enjoy your XS it's a great bike. bkr

Comment

Working...
                  X