Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 XS 1100 special--Torque setting for front rotors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 XS 1100 special--Torque setting for front rotors?

Hi everyone, well now and then and pretty often i have a question or two. Today i need to ask if anyone can tell me what is a reasonable torque setting for the bolts that hold the front brake rotors onto the wheel please? I bent one side of my front rim with a tire lever when i was changing a tire so now i need to take of those rotors and fit them on my spare rim! Any suggestions?--Thanks
    79 SF

14.5 ft-lbs......
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

And if you do not re-use the sheet metal retainers then some LockTite on the bolt threads is a good idea.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Use blue locktite, not red; if you use red, you may break them off if you ever try to remove them....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

RE-Torque setting for front rotors?

Thanks everyone, appreciate the info as always. Well, surprise, surprise! Took off rotors from original rim and they were just about finger tight even though the `safety tabs` did not look as though they had been touched since she left the factory! 14.5 ft-lbs does not sound like much but it`s way tighter than they were!!--Thanks again
          79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by TADracer View Post
            And if you do not re-use the sheet metal retainers then some LockTite on the bolt threads is a good idea.
            Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            Use blue locktite, not red; if you use red, you may break them off if you ever try to remove them....
            I just use split lock washers on mine. They have never loosened up.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
            X