Need Carburetor Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I passed emissions this morning

Passed emissions with a little room to spare.

I pulled out of the testing place and headed for work. About a mile out, I noticed that the rear brake was dragging. It looks like the caliper is stuck 25-50% on.

The good news is that I can finally license it!
    Guy

1980 XS1100G - Frankenstein - resurrected from the impound lot
    1991 Suzuki GS500E (not running yet)
    2003 Burgman AN400 - Blue Belle
    2005 Burgman AN400 - Silver Belle

Comment

Originally posted by Petersg_99 View Post
      Passed emissions with a little room to spare.

I pulled out of the testing place and headed for work. About a mile out, I noticed that the rear brake was dragging. It looks like the caliper is stuck 25-50% on.

The good news is that I can finally license it!
      Good to hear positive results. IIRC, you've been fighting this for awhile.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I stopped and got the license on the way home .

I got home and looked at the rear brake and it's free now, so the brake only drags when it starts to get hot.

Now I have to figure out what's causing the rear brake to drag when it heats up...
        Guy

Comment

Now I have to figure out what's causing the rear brake to drag when it heats up...
          Your right foot?

Take that rear caliper apart and clean it out.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Actually I think you're right. I had adjusted the brake linkage so tight that I think just resting my foot on the brake lever was making the brake drag, then after I had overheated the brakes I think they got stuck.

I loosened up the linkage and took it for a test ride about 6 miles and no problems.

I'll know tomorrow when I drive it to work.

There's something that has me a little mystified. when I got the bike, I noticed that there are little black rubber cylinders between the cooling fins. It looks like they were put there on purpose. Does anyone know if they're supposed to be there and what purpose they serve?

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            Your right foot?

Take that rear caliper apart and clean it out.
            Guy

Comment

Found the answer with a forum search. Vibration dampers... Who would have thought it...

Actually I think you're right. I had adjusted the brake linkage so tight that I think just resting my foot on the brake lever was making the brake drag, then after I had overheated the brakes I think they got stuck.

I loosened up the linkage and took it for a test ride about 6 miles and no problems.

I'll know tomorrow when I drive it to work.

There's something that has me a little mystified. when I got the bike, I noticed that there are little black rubber cylinders between the cooling fins. It looks like they were put there on purpose. Does anyone know if they're supposed to be there and what purpose they serve?
              Guy

Comment

Working...
              X