xs1100 frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs1100 frame

I am rebuilding a 79 xs1100H that will have a complete Vetter set-up on it. The bike previously had bags on it and the frame behind the seat fastener looks like it has been broken twice on each side. Actually, I had the frame rewelded on the right side because the piece was broken off. Is this common on the xs1100? I am a bit worried about hanging two vetter bags and a trunk off the back end of the bike with only those two small frame bars holding the hole mess on. HELP!!!!!!

This is not a common problem. The Vetter bag frames also use the rear footpeg brackets for mounting points, and so are supported by more than just the upper mount. There should be a stabilizing bar that goes between the bag frames. This doesn't support weight, but does cut down flex/sway between the left and right side mounts and makes the installation stronger.

I don't run the trunk, but did mount a luggage rack on the Vetter frames. (Replaced the Vetter unit with a nicer looking and larger platform.) I carry a small cooler, tripod, other stuff on it with no problems. Have not heard of any problems from those who do mount the trunk.

I suspoect the problems you found are due to a poor or incomplete installation or the result of an accident. You should not have problems with the frame with the Vetter bags/trunk installed corectly.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanks Jerry,

You are probably right, improper installation of previous bags. The bike doesn't look to ever have been in an accident.
      Your bit if info helps and gives me piece of mind (I was a bit worried about hanging all that stuff on the bike and have it, my lady friend and myself end up skidding down the highway).

Thanks again,

Bob

Comment

Working...
      X