starter problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter problem

Help I am new to the xs11 bikes.I just bought one last fall and it seems i have a problem with the starter.The starter does not want to keep the engine turning it kicks out as soon as the engine fires or just spins freely when the started button is depressed.If the bike does start and you run the bike until it is warm when you shut it off and try to restart it it turns over very slowly.Will to small or a under charged battery cause this or am I looking at a problem with the internal starting gear. I did buy another used starter off ebay but I still have the same problem.
    any help would be appreciated.
    Terry

Sounds like a weak battery or poor connections at the battery cables, starter relay, or ground straps.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Two areas that need to be looked into. One is type of oil, as several owners have reported problems when using synthetic oil both in clutch plates and starter drives. Switching to semi-synthetic or natural (dino juice) oils is the cure.

2nd is wiring. Take a look at your battery cables, and if they show any signs of corrosion or aging, replace them. At a minimum clean all connections, including the ground cable to frame connection. (Many people are surprised at how much easier their bike starts with new cables.)

Get the battery load-tested at a battery shop. Test is ususlly free and will tell you if the battery is in good shape. If you put a charger on it, try to use one with less than a 3 amp charge, as it is best to stay under 10 percent of the battery capacity to avoid overheating and buckling of battery plates. (350cca is the nominal rating.)

With a good battery, conventional oil, and good cables the starter should kick the engine over at a pretty good rate.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
      X