Leaks from everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaks from everywhere

So I bought this project SG a few months ago. It was someones project bobber. It took a little bit to get it fired up (The carbs were mixed 78/79 and 80/81). It ran when I got the carbs straight. Not good but still ran and didn't smoke. Oil was leaking out of the right side of the motor. Found it to be the seal around the crank shaft and between the casing. Decided that with the cobbled up carbs, chim-chimed cobbledness of the electrical system, missing washers from numerous areas of the bike, and pieced together gaskets, it would be best to totally tear this beast down. (I plan to ride this thing when done. I don't want to spend my time on the side of the road). We'll see how far I get during the cold months. I will update later as I tear into this project. If this starts to eat up allot of cash, I may end up offering parts priced to move.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

You may not need to totally tear it down!?

Hey the Czekus,

There has been posts about being able to replace the crankshaft seals WITHOUT having to split the cases....so you may not need to tear it down as far as you think..at least for replacing the seals!! Just an FYI! Have fun with it!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks man...Ya. I know these bikes pretty good inside and out. That's why I bought another XS. Kinda gets in the blood I guess. With some of the work that has been done to this monster, I feel it only fitting to make sure it's right. Eastern South Dakota's a pretty good haul from El Paso. Gotta make sure that it's gonna be reliable for the haul....
      S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
      1-big XS patch
      1-small XS/XJ patch
      1-XS/XJ owners pin.
      1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
      2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
      1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
      1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X