Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 XS11 Special-Lock at bottom of left side cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 XS11 Special-Lock at bottom of left side cover?

Hi all and a Happy New Year! Quick question. The bottom of the left side cover clicks into a lock whereas the top is held in place by a rubber ring. My problem is the bottom that clicks into the lock but i have lost the key! Typical New Year problem! Anyway, you cannot access the lock which is behind the side cover to unscrew it and take it off to make a key and i don`t want to `punch` the lock with a screw driver until i have heard if anyone else has had to do this when they have lost their key --Any advice most welcome.
    79 SF

On most of the "normal" XS's, the ignition key fits the ignition, the gas cap, and the left side cover lock. What is the state of your gas cap and ignition lock? Same, different? Try one or the other in the side lock. If you lost them as well, see the last sentence.
    If you look closely at the face of the tumbler, you will see a number stamped into it, unless someone has taken a screwdriver to it.
    The number, and a few bucks, will get you a key to fit it, if both are taken to a competent lock smith.
    Happy New Year, CZ

Comment

Originally posted by jerro View Post
      - - - My problem is the bottom that clicks into the lock but i have lost the key! - - -
      Hi Jerro,
      like the Zapper sez, "One key to rule them all - - - "
      But that was when the bike left the factory.
      One of those dreaded POs might well have swapped out one or more of the locks and then you are SOL.
      Also remember that the ignition & gas cap keys only go part way into the cover lock so an orphan key just might work anyway.
      Also, how long since you had that cover off? The lock could also be full of crud and need a good dose of penetrating oil to free it up before it will turn.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Eureka!

Thanks for all the tips that you have given me. These got me thinking about the task and i remembered that the `hole` where the bottom `prong` fits into has a `tongue` or latch that is pushed sideways as the prong goes past it before it clicks shut. Ok so i got a length of steel wire that i could use like a key and pushed it into the hole between the prong and right side of the hole. I pushed it slowly until the tongue was pushed to the side and out came the prong and off came the cover. Ok, so if you ever lose your key---- crouch down facing the side cover on the left side of bike. Get your piece of `spring steel wire`that will not bend a whole lot when you push it. Push it in between the bottom prong and the hole where it goes into the lock on the right side of the prong. Push until you feel some resistance and then pull the side cover outwards from the bottom, it comes out!! Last development was that i checked all my keys and found a very thin mail box key, most keys are too fat. This thin key goes in the lock and with a small wiggle the bloody lock opens !!---- Thanks again and Happy New Year
        79 SF

Comment

Working...
        X