X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something's popping (vid inside)

wait for it.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Majht...ature=youtu.be

at 00:32 seconds. Is the fuel detonating in the carb?
    79 XS11

I had a set of those POD filters on the SG I picked up a month or two ago. It did the same thing to me. First, check the valve clearances. Also, consider putting factory airbox back on. I am not a fan of those POD filters. You may also look and see if those are the POD filters with a lip inside that blocks off some of the openings on the carb inlet bell.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

the bike is my friend's, and he bought it off someone without knowing what was done to it. As you see from the other thread, it was butchered beyond belief. So, i do not have the original air box. and as another member guessed, it is a probably a cheap EMGO air pod, with the lip thing that blocks airflow, but i will take a pic of the innards later.

Since i received the bike, all i did was: cleaned the carbs, installed new spark plugs, changed oil and oil filter, cleaned and re-oil the airpods, and changed mid+final gear oil.
      79 XS11

Comment

I would definitely check the valve clearances. I had that issue with no 1 cylinder and I found the intake valve had a gap of .21, spec is .11-.15 for the 80-81 engines.

I was able to get an airbox from a member of the site. They come up on ebay at reasonable prices as well. It would be cheaper to get the factory airbox than to get new POD filters.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I love my pods!!

Hey Andy,

Don likes OEM, but I know you're on a tight budget with this build for your friend, so cleaning and re-oiling the the Pods was cheaper. At Idle they don't really interfere that much at all.

I saw you use the choke/enrichener to get it started, and so I can only assume that the bike was relatively cold or not well warmed up when you started it. The intake fart is common when they are cold.

You cleaned the carbs...did you note what size the jets were?? With Pods and a 4-1 pipe they will probably need to be a bit larger than the OEM 137.5 main size. Also, did you Vac. Synch the carbs as well? Take a bit of tuning to get them all working together.

Don's right, you should check the valve clearances, and adjust if found out of spec....often you'll find too tight of tolerances as the engine wears, not looser, so folks often set to the wider spec range when adjusting shims!

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

hey TC, it was actually quite cool here in Southern California today, it was in the 50's (sorry, no offense to you folks in Colorado or upstate NY). I needed the choke on for today, but last week when it was a little warmer the bike started with no choke.
            I forgot to look at the size of the jets, but i probably will have to pull the carb out later cuz i snap the darn idle fuel mixture screw.
            While it is running pods, it is not running a 4-to-1 exhaust, but a 4-to-2 (stock one?). The spark plugs actually looks brown-ish instead of white-ish so i am guessing it is running a bit richer? And i used the pre-sync technique instead, but will look into the Vac-Synch method later.

and will check valve clearance soon.
            79 XS11

Comment

Originally posted by andylawcc View Post
              And i used the pre-sync technique instead
              That is just to get the bike started so that you can do the vac sync. there is NO substitute for a vac sync, you absolutely must do it to get the bike to run right. That alone could be the cause of the backfire.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hey Andy,

Sorry, so many bikes hard to keep the details straight, although I should have been able to see the stock pipes in the video!

Brownish isn't too bad, you don't want Bleach White=too lean, also don't want BLACK/Dry Sooty=rich...but tan or so is good, plus you haven't really been able to get it to running up to normal operating temps to be able to perform a throttle chop....so the plug color you're seeing is probably the Pilot circuit but not necessarily indicative of the mains.

Like Nate said, you need to do a VAC. synch with the bike warmed up, run a fan across the engine to help keep from overheating during the synch process. Keep at it, you're making great progress so far, I'm sure the New Owner won't be able to believe the performance once you get it all dialed in!

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks for the words of encouragement
                  79 XS11

Comment

Working...
                  X