question x2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question x2

I got an xs1100 in trade all the wires and parts came in a box, its was a major pain to get it back together. I've run into to problems that I can't figure out. where do these wires go I'm pretty sure the orange and grey go to the coils somehow? And my second problem is how do I get this out? I've already powder coated all the covers except this cover.

81 XS11 Bobber

The first thing you need is a repair manual. Found here. The wiring diagram will help. It will also show you the location of the electrical components as they are mounted on your bike.
    http://www.ringler.us/family/mybike.html
    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

i have a clymers manual, but i cant find that connection on the wiring diagram
      81 XS11 Bobber

Comment

generator removal

Looks like your well on your way. You have removed the four hex bolts holding the stator to the housing, flip it over and remove the three hex bolts holding the field coil in place. It will come out easy enough just by lifting it out. Now you will have room to get your fingers inside, under the stator and gently pry it out using fingers only. Sometimes they get stick in there and it is a tight fit but don't use anything like a screw driver or such to pry it out. You will dammage some of the copper connectors along the bottom. I've also had luck just flipping it over and dropping the cover on the table. The sudden shock breaks it loose.
        mack
        79 XS 1100 SF Special
        HERMES
        original owner
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
        SPICA
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
        IOTA
        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
        Frankford, Ont, Canada
        613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by KBar87 View Post
          I got an xs1100 in trade all the wires and parts came in a box, its was a major pain to get it back together. I've run into to problems that I can't figure out. where do these wires go I'm pretty sure the orange and grey go to the coils somehow?
          Where is the other end of this harness? If it goes to the motor/ignition cover, that's the wires for your pickup coils and neutral light....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
            Looks like your well on your way. You have removed the four hex bolts holding the stator to the housing, flip it over and remove the three hex bolts holding the field coil in place. It will come out easy enough just by lifting it out. Now you will have room to get your fingers inside, under the stator and gently pry it out using fingers only. Sometimes they get stick in there and it is a tight fit but don't use anything like a screw driver or such to pry it out. You will dammage some of the copper connectors along the bottom. I've also had luck just flipping it over and dropping the cover on the table. The sudden shock breaks it loose.
            I've been prying with my fingers for 2 days now and my fingers are cramped up, i sprayed the sides with wd40 and let it sit for a day, it still wont move. ive tried tapping the back with a soft hammer still no dice. Won't dropping it on a table or hard surface damage it?
            Last edited by KBar87; 12-28-2012, 11:55 PM.
            81 XS11 Bobber

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              Where is the other end of this harness? If it goes to the motor/ignition cover, that's the wires for your pickup coils and neutral light....
              the other end is connected to the timing. does it go into the ignition unit somehow? the connector on the ignition unit is a 8 pin but this connector coming from the timing is a 6 pin? these 2 issues are really starting to piss me off. these are the only things from keeping my bike from being finished.
              81 XS11 Bobber

Comment

these are the only things from keeping my bike from being finished.

Riiiiiiight.

You have not tried to start it yet.

John
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

the other end is connected to the timing. does it go into the ignition unit somehow? the connector on the ignition unit is a 8 pin but this connector coming from the timing is a 6 pin? these 2 issues are really starting to piss me off. these are the only things from keeping my bike from being finished.
                  This plug routes behind the motor and plugs into it's match behind the fuse panel; from there it goes to the ignition box. The wires will change color at the plug; it will be a yellow/red, yellow/green, white/red, white/green, and sky blue. The first four are the pickup coils, the sky blue is the neutral light.
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...