quick Q: where to buy valve shims, how to grease final drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick Q: where to buy valve shims, how to grease final drive

1) I am attempting to do valve adjustment on a 1979 Standard. (i will probably get a the valve tool thing from GeorgeFix). The valves I've seen online are roughly 3.99 a piece, and ebay don't carry all the shim size. I am wondering do you have to use specific XS1100 valve shims, or they are interchangable with other bikes.
    And i prefer buying up the shims locally, so i don't have to pop up the valve cover, measure gap, close it back up, and wait, should I order online.

2) i was reading the aftermarket maintenance manual and it said there is a tiny nipple between the final and the middle gear, where the four bolts are. I am supposed to use a grease gun and inject some moly-grease into it. What if I don't have a grease gun? I actually have a tub of moly-grease and it is not in the "grease gun cartridge" packsize. Is it possible to use a plastic syringe to pump it in?
    79 XS11

1) Valve shims from same-era Suzki GS series bikes, BMW and Ford SHO motors are the same diameter (29mm) as the XS

2) That nipple is useless, so don't bother with a grease gun. the only way to properly get the grease where it's needed is to remove the rear drive and lather it on manually. no joke.
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Any 29mm valve shim works. Be carefull cause there is also a 29.5mm shim that does not work

The grease zero doesn't really get the grease where it needs to be (yeah I know there are like 3 people who disagree). The way to grease the shaft is to remove the final drive and put the grease on the splines manually.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Call around to your local Jap bike shops and talk to the service department (not parts). Most will have a selection of used shims that they will sell/exchange. As noted, ask for 29mm shims.

And used shims will be fine if you're wondering...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

cool cool. thanks !
          79 XS11

Comment

Do not let them take you though. I recently had to replace four shims. I called a local bike shop and asked if they had 29 mm shims. They said they did and should have what I needed, I also asked if they would direct swap with mine, which they concurred they would.

Couple days go by before I get a chance to stop by, I give them my four shims. First bad sign the guy takes my shims then immediately walks over to wait on a customer in the sales area. I walk around looking at stuff....and looking.....and looking.....and eventually the guy calls me over to the desk by the service area. Now I had heard someone say something about "$10 a shim", so I kind of suspected I was about to be shafted. And the dude now tells me my shims are to worn he can not accept them, and he will need to buy shims to replace the ones I am taking and they cost him $35 for four shims, so he needs $35 for the four shims I need. I politely thanked him for educating on how much they over value their shims, and advised him not to wait up for me to return to their store....EVER!

I have bought shims from a different source before at $3 a shim. Anyway, just a polite warning of what you might run into.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

ya, i kinda expect something what DGXSER just described might happen. Another scenario I fear is: the first time i go an honest mechanic is willing to do it, then the next time when i really need the shims he is not in and the other mechanics aren't so helpful.
              79 XS11

Comment

I believe the 29mm shims are used in some cars too, in the USA? I've read posts here to that effect, anyway....

Re the grease thing. That Zerk fitting does not allow the grease to go where it should. There's a sleeve on the inside of the shaft drive and it diverts the grease away from where it's supposed to go. That's from my personal experience of my own shaft drives on several XS1100's. There is never grease where it should be and doing it by taking the shaft apart is, in my humble opinion, the only sure way to do it. While you're in there and have things in bits, check your rear left wheel bearing. This suffers from neglect too, from a grease point of view, and you may find it's past its prime. Personally, whilst the wheel is off, I'd look at both bearings and replace them if necessary.
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

The first place for shims is a dealer service dept that you may have at least walked in and met someone working there before. If they know your face, they will be more willing to swap with you and not have you deal with the parts dept doofus. Just like you said as well, some are more willing than others and getting in front of them is a good way to know which ones to deal with.

I didn't see this mentioned, but you may not need any shims, on the chance they can be swapped between valves. Make all measurements, then pull all the shims that need replacing and see if any are the right size to re-use in another position.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                    I believe the 29mm shims are used in some cars too, in the USA?
                    These are used in the older Ford Taurus SHO motors (designed by Yamaha) but are long-discontinued from Ford, so those guys are now looking in the same places for shims as us....
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I found a chart showing a list of Kawasaki's and Yamaha's that use the 29mm valve shim. Just thought I'd post for cross referencing. I was also seeing hints if BMW's using 29mm as well. I was going to check a volkswagon dealership to see if they carry them, but the parts counter was closed. I know they carry 31mm valve shims for certain models, they may have 29s too. Worth a shot.

http://www.sudco.com/29valveshims.html
                      "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

I have not read all the posts above BUT incase no one has mentioned it
                        29.5mm WILL NOT FIT (off Kawasaki I think)
                        so double check to be sure 29mm
                        Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Been mentioned a few posts back... Good to know though!
                          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

As an absolute last resort, there's a thinner shim inside every fatter one.
                            You will need a bro with access to a magnetic table surface grinder to kiss a few thousandths off it. Grind off the side with the number and electro-etch the new thickness on it.
                            It's what you do when you can't find a shim source but do have access to a machine shop.
                            Last edited by fredintoon; 12-30-2012, 03:40 PM.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Are we THAT hard up for shims?
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                              X