side cover lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• side cover lock

Does anyone know how to remove the side cover lock?Lost my key a while ago and need to get a replacement key.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

It's held on with a phillips head screw. IIRC, you get to it once the side cover is off. If you can read the number, you can have a key made for it without taking it off. Once off, you can re-key to match your ignition, if it takes a different key.
    That lock only uses part of the key, so if you can find someone close with '80 vintage Yamaha keys, one of them may work.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I have the original ignition lock key and gas tank key.Will that work?
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

That should do it! Just remember it may be "stuck" a little, and not want to turn well. Hit it with ether inside the lock to free up any old, stuck grease, then turn and unlock. I would then use graphite to lube the lock mechanism, as it will not gum up with age.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I will give that a try Ray-Thanks!
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

It's better than my attempt at getting the side cover off when I first bought my bike! I did not realize there was a lock on it, and was sticking my key in the actual locking mechanism, and turning away, grinding away at the tab. It was a full two weeks before I came across the lock, What a dummy I felt like!!!
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Though I knew how to remove the side cover I too have had my share of difficulties. I at one time actually bent my key a full 45 degrees trying to get the cover off. Luckily I was able to slowly bend it back and it started the bike. Went right to the lock smith and had two more keys made. Bought another bike about a month ago, damn near did the same thing. Dumb ass
              1979 XS1100 SF
              1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
              1981 KZ650CSR
              2006 VTX 1300C
              1986 Radian 600

Comment

Once you get the cover off, you can remove the battery box, and there is a screw under the box that holds the latch mechanisim in. Remove it, and it is apparent how to take it apart, and clean all the old guook out of it.
                Reassemble with graphite or dry moly, and you won't have the bent key problem for years. CZ

Comment

The locking mechanism is held on by two pillips head bolts. If you have the side cover removed, one can be accessed easily, the other is under the battery box, and you would need to remove the battery box to remove the lock mechanism. If you are in that tight of a jam, you migh tbe able to pull the right side cover, and the seat off, and work your way to pulling the battery box out the right side of the bike, so you could access the side cover lock.

From the factory, the key that works one thing works them all, including the side cover lock and the helmet lock. Most of the broken left side covers is from a new owner not being made aware of that lock.

If you can not read the number, and can not get a key to work. You could drill out the lock cylinder. Make it work by any screw driver. Unless your prone to storing valuables in the tool box behind the cover, or worried someone will try to steal your battery, I would not worry to much about that lock. Heck, alot of owners do not know its there, let alone someone trying to steal your stuff.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    ...If you can not read the number, and can not get a key to work, you could drill out the lock cylinder. Make it work by any screw driver. Unless your prone to storing valuables in the tool box behind the cover, or worried someone will try to steal your battery, I would not worry to much about that lock. Heck, alot of owners do not know its there, let alone someone trying to steal your stuff.
                    If you can get the latch assembly out, you don't even need to drill it. Disassemble the latch and remove the 'key tabs' from the tumbler; you can now open it with any key....
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Absolutely correct Steve, My drilling technique was if you can't get the side cover out of the latch, and you can't get the battery box and such out to remove the lock assembly.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

I dont have the helmet lock-that is long gone.Cant seem to locate my spare key i thought i had.The only 2 keys i have are for the ignition and gas tank.
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        Inline fuel filters
                        160 mph speedometer mod
                        Kerker Exhaust
                        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

the ignition key on my 80sg works for all the locks on my bike.
                          FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                          1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                          1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
                            I dont have the helmet lock-that is long gone.Cant seem to locate my spare key i thought i had.The only 2 keys i have are for the ignition and gas tank.
                            Hi oldyam,
                            when new the bike had one key that did everything.
                            If your bike needs two keys it's more likely that the ignition key is still the original and the gas tank key is the orphan.
                            It's also likely that the sidecover lock is still the original.
                            So try the ignition key first, it's the one most likely to fit.
                            Remember the key only goes part way into that lock and if the lock has not been used
                            for a while it's most likely going to need liberal doses of penetrating oil to get it moving.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

OK Fred will look and see! Thanks for all the help!
                              1980 XS1100 SG
                              Inline fuel filters
                              160 mph speedometer mod
                              Kerker Exhaust
                              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Working...
                              X