Rear wheel swap ~~ important info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel swap ~~ important info

You'll get a FULL INCH difference (lower), if you go from the 17" wheel to the 16" wheel ~~ reason being, is because the wheel rim part is about 3/4 inch more narrow on the 17" wheel~~part that holds the bead of the tire; this squeezes the bead sides of the tire closer together~~makes the tire "taller" from the ground up to the wheel part that's holding the bead ; if you draw an imaginary line (motorcycle parked straight up and down) from axle down to ground, perfectly vertical; the line would touch the ground in the middle of the tire's "footprint"~~the tire patch part that's touching the ground~~measuring from ground to bead rim part of the wheel, you've got at least 1/2 inch gain in distance with the 17" wheel, cuz the much more narrow wheel part that holds the bead(s) of the tire is contorting the tire in a different fashion than the 16" wheel. I made this switch from 16" wheel to the 17" wheel about 2 years ago; planned for doing this swap for at least 5 years; all the time getting around to getting around to doing this~~not realizing that the wheels' width measurements) at the bead/rim part was different. When I had both wheels off the machine and was mounting the new, same tire onto the 17" wheel, I made this discovery, and knew that "this was not good" ; I went ahead and completed the tire mount and wheel change , anyhow, to see how it would make the motorcycle "act" different. I knew the gearing would be "taller", which was some of what I was after. Main gain that I thought that I would achieve~~what I was really after~~was a bigger footprint on the road; i.e. larger circumference would compute to more rubber on the road. Wrong; cuz the skinnier rim made the tire much more narrow. Sidewall is 3/16" further away from the driveshaft housing on that side of the tire. Multiply that times 2 to get approximate change in tire width I might mention here, that this change means you've got to use the stamped out steel brace that holds the part of the caliper; they're angled different; keep the brace that was with the brake setup on the 17" wheel ; keep with that wheel. And vise-versa, same with 16" inch swap, if one would do that swap, to put the 16" wheel onto a Standard. This is addressed in other explanations, in other threads; but I'll say it again, in my own words. The axle spacers on wheel hub side and the last one against swing arm side are different...................................The machine, when I made the swap from 16" wheel and tire~~to the !7" wheel and tire~~differences as follows; I did get taller gearing; but I'm not on roads that I'm motoring along, very often, above 60 mph~~the machine handled fine above 25-30 mph~~but one could tell, cuz it'd been raised up (in the rear) that it was not "balanced" as well at low speed(s) ~~these machines have a "top heavy" problem, bad enough, without raising the front and/or the rear to change center of gravity, or any other geometry that might make them more top heavy. Added to my own top heavy problem~~the 7 & 1/2 gallon Concours gas tank with the extra fuel, because of where it's located; adds to top heavy problem: where these problems are really noticeable is like under 5 mph; navigating tight areas, and Walmart parking lots, etc. The taller gearing in 1st gear, definitely made "tight navigating" more difficult. As I type this, I'm able to look across the room at "the old" 16" wheel next to a new 16" tire , ready to be mounted, and returned to being the rear wheel that I was the most happiest with. Anyhow, the "point" of my post, is = when this wheel swap is done; the change; up or down; is an inch; half inch from axle to bead, and another half inch (difference) distance from the bead to bottom of the tire (i.e. the ground).
    JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
    7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Hi JC,
    you sure about all that?
    Clymer's sez Standard rear is 4.5"-17" and the Special rear is 130/90-16.
    Also sez the Standard rim width is less than the Special rim width.
    I would suppose that the narrower rim width matches the narrower tire so the "squeezed tire" thing likely ain't happening.
    OTOH those old inch-defined tires were "square" at 100% height to width ratio
    so they'd "stand taller" (if you can still get them).
    Suppose you can get a metric equivalent 120/90-17 it's height would be 108mm while the Special's 130/90-16's height would be 117mm.
    Working the tire heights into the rim diameters puts the Standard rear axle ~1/8" higher than the Special rear axle.
    Tires wear more than that during their working life so I don't think your theory is true.
    YES! they handle different but it's the tire width what's doing it, not the diameter.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
    X