Could have been a costly mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could have been a costly mistake

Day before yesterday i took the bike shoping. When i got home, and was taking my rain pants off, the right leg was covered in oil. Panic went through my mind. I went to the bike, and discovered that the forward semi-circular plug had blown out, and was just hanging there. Today i removed the cam cover, filled the crankcase up to see how much oil i had lost. GOOD NEWS! only lost 1/2 qt. Got to looking at the plugs, and noticed for the second time that they had lips on one side. I had noticed this before when installing a few weeks back, but figured that the open side should be on the inside, and the lip was to prevent them from falling in. Guess i was wrong. Anybody know for sure that the lip goes on the inside. I am a dumb butt, having worked with mechanics most of my life, i know to make note of how something comes apart, and take pictures if necessary. Could have been the end of the XS for me.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

The lip goes on the OUTSIDE, the hollow part of the seal goes towards the inside. Make sure your crankcase breather is operating properly/not obstructed, excessive pressure can blow those seals out sometimes.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks, i will check that.
      1980 XS1100LG Midnight

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Comment

Another thing about those plugs, it's always a good idea to use RTV on the mating surfaces with the head/valve cover, that will keep them in place a bit better. If you are re-using old plugs this is a must because they shrink over time with hundreds of heat cycles.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey, Newbie...
          Fwiw, if it's any reassurance...
          I can tell ya from personal experience that even if you'd dropped the oil pump down into the pan while riding at 100 mph, turning 5500 rpm's, then rode 4 more miles.... that engine would still be ok.

See, mine did just that.
          We bolted the pump back up, put it back together, put oil back in it... And I rode it 25,000 more miles w/o any problems!
          Still ran fine when I sold it because I bought the new Connie.

It was a true testament to the durability and the amazing strength of these engines. Yamaha really overbuilt them.

I was seriously doubtful that engine wasn't fubarred after that happened... I mean, after all... Everyone knows what happens to cam and crank bearings when you lose oil pressure, right?
          Apparently, that applies to all other engines, but not an 11.

Lots of guys rode many miles with me after that happened and can vouch that it's true. I even rode around 20 miles or so on it with T.C. too one evening.

If I live to be a 100, I'll never forget that adventure!
          Made me a believer.
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Crancase breather is clear, and clear into air filter housing. I used permatex #2 to cement them in, and will wait a day or so to let it set before installing cam cover. I am thinking the silicone i used may have been part of the prolem, making it slipery.
            1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

Check you compression. you may find that one of them is low and thus blowing some pressure into the crankcase thus forcing the plug out.
              This is how I found out about my holed piston. Blew that plug out like a shotgun.
              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
              The Green Monster
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
              Got him in '04.
              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
              Scarlet
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
              Hugo
              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
              Cold weather ride

Comment

Sealant

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
                Crancase breather is clear, and clear into air filter housing. I used permatex #2 to cement them in, and will wait a day or so to let it set before installing cam cover. I am thinking the silicone i used may have been part of the prolem, making it slipery.
                It has been my experience from building a number of engines that the best sealing RTV sealant to use on any engine is the Ultra Grey. It is sensor safe, which may or may not be of interest. But the best feature is how hard it becomes when it dries. By setting up in this manner, it does not allow things to "move" and therefore maintains a very good, leak free seal. Trust me, it works like a champ.

MP
                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                K&N Air Filter
                ACCT
                Custom Paint by Deitz
                Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                EBC Front Rotors
                Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Compression across the board is 130, so no proble there. I use permatex #2 in trouble spots, and have used it for 20 some years. Most people don't even know what it is.
                  1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
                    I use permatex #2 in trouble spots, and have used it for 20 some years. Most people don't even know what it is.
                    Still have a tube of it.... But it's 'old school' and its major drawback is it 'glues' the parts together all too well sometimes. I could tell the tale about wrestling a 700 lb Ford FE motor around on the shop floor trying to get the intake manifold off after it had been installed with #2. Ended up taking four people and a 5' crowbar to get it off....

Yamabond is the stuff unless it's high heat, then use the high-heat Permatex silicon....
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                    X