Cold start problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Tis a weird one for sure....

You might try this; this is a trick the Harley guys use but might work.

It seems obvious that temp has something to do with it. I'm guessing that something is contracting with the cold and giving you a poor connection. Try heating various components with a hair dryer or heat gun and see if you can pinpoint the problem part. This trick works for the Harley 'nosecone' ignitions when they fail under high temps, but work at lower ones; heat the module to see if it quits. This is the opposite of what you have, but the principle is the same, it might work...

The only other thing I can think of may be moisture; when the bike gets cold enough, you might be getting condensation in somewhere and shorting out some part of the ignition. Again, try heating various parts and see it you can make the problem go away.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I have a feeling it may be a bad repair in the wiring harness. Before RockinD parked this bike several years ago there was a fire that damaged the harness around the airbox. Doc went through and repaired the damage and replaced all the connectors but I am finding quite a few connectors that the spades aren't seated all the way.

The really crazy thing is that if I crank on it long enough eventually it will start sparking.

As I stated, we changed the TCI and it started working so I thought we had it but that didn't work this time.

I have been pouring over the wiring diagrams all day and have been back and forth checking things. I have come up with two things that are questionable.

First, there are 2 R/W wires going into the TCI plug that LOOK exactly the same and are beside each other in the connector. Both are for the ignition but 1 is the wire that gets full power when cranking. I checked them with the ohm meter for continuity between the different plugs they should go to comparing with a raggedy SG harness I have. By my checks it seems those 2 might be switched in position.

The other is, I don't see a tipover switch on the diagram but there is something called the Thermal Assembly. What is that?

To see if it might be the tipover switch I just unplug it correct?

Thanks y'all.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Unplug the tipover switch for engine run mode. Are you sure you are reading thermal and not terminal assembly?

Edit: The tipover switch is called emergency shutoff switch.
        Last edited by bikerphil; 01-26-2013, 07:34 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Your right Phil, It is Terminal Assembly.

Shoulda put my glasses on.
          Last edited by BA80; 01-26-2013, 07:42 PM.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Greg, have you checked the gap at the pick up coil/reluctor? Should be .027", JAT
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              Greg, have you checked the gap at the pick up coil/reluctor? Should be .027", JAT
              Yup, did that. I'm gonna see about those to R/W wires at the TCI tomorrow and check the connections at the coils.

I just wonder if the thing would even run at all with those 2 wires switched.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Ok, the one wire I thought was a R/W is a R/Y and is in the correct spot.

My headache is back.............
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Forgot to mention, check the plug near by the fuse panel for the P/u coil wires to the TCI, where they change colors. I know you got a good reading from the TCI but if that plug is flaky it can cause an intermittent, DAHIK.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

I did check that once but I'll do it again.

Whatever it is neither coil is sparking.
                    Last edited by BA80; 01-26-2013, 08:43 PM.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Another thing would be to disconnect that black/wht wire from the plug at the TCI, it goes to the tipover switch. If that wire is touching ground anywhere in the harness, no sparky, JAT
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

I have it figured out now I'm sure. I started testing for power where power is supposed to be today and all is good there. Then I started testin continuity from plug to plug in the harness and found what is probably broken wire in the harness from the PU coil plug behind the fuse panel up to the TCI.

I jumpered the wire and I now have spark but it's irratic and causes the engine to back fire. There are obviously other issues in there. Probably a short.

Anyone have a decent harness for an SG or LG they can part with?
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I have a harness from an SG available. Shipping would be 10-14 days though and may be more expensive from Canada. I only use Canada post as the UPS guys rape us on every transaction. Well that and they are handy to me as I have to drive 20 miles one way to try to send it UPS. Let me know.
                          2-79 XS1100 SF
                          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Thanks, I was hoping for a little closer but if I can't come up with something I'll get back to you.

I haven't heard from Doc for a week and I tried to call it went directly to VM. I hope he's OK.

Thanks again.

BTW, what do you want for it?
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Whatever shipping is plus enough for a six pack of beer!
                              2-79 XS1100 SF
                              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Heh heh, now that's an offer I can't refuse.

Go ahead and send it Doug. Let me know what I owe you.

PM forth coming.
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X