Standard front caliper rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard front caliper rebuild

So I need to rebuild the front calipers on my 1979 F. I bought a seal kit from parts n more #29-0034. Says it fits 78-81 excluding special. When I recieved the kit, the dust boots are the small size like the rear caliper. I then looked on georgefix's website and it says the standard has the same calipers front and rear.

Did someone bastardize by brakes? Do just the specials have the larger pistons? What is the proper part number for the larger diameter seal kit?

I am also in the middle of painting a boat load of parts, and am having a hard time deciding what to do with the rear shocks. I want to paint the springs black. I used a larson jack to compress the spring and remove it, however this method will be disasterous to freshly painted caps. I know I had seen pictures of someone's painted rear springs, and wondering what method was used to reassemble.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by conquest87tsi; 12-22-2012, 09:14 PM.
    1979 XS1100 SF
    1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
    1981 KZ650CSR
    2006 VTX 1300C
    1986 Radian 600

Yup, standards have the same calipers all the way around. If yours are not the same then something has been changed. Get us some pics and we can try and help id.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
    X