Emergency Flashers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Flashers

I have a 1980 XS11 LG Midnight Special. I had not used it since doing some starter gear idler repairs. I hooked up the battery and the "E" Flashers started doing their thing no matter the position of the "E" Flasher button. These flashers appear to work no matter the key position.
    I have pulled the two prong plug from the flasher unit. My first thought is that the switch has shorted out? I have taken apart the master switch unit with the signals, horn, high beams and "E" flashers. Have sprayed some electrical cleaner into the area. The "E" flasher portion appears to be below the signal switch. Before going further I thought I would ask for comments and suggestions.
    gene in FL

Yep, the switch is shorted internally. They can usually be rebuilt with careful disassembly and cleaning, but not always; sometimes you'll run into too much arcing damage.

Be very careful when taking the switch apart to watch where all the bits go (little springs and balls) so you can get it back together.

And yes, the flashers are 'powered up' anytime the battery and main fuse are installed. Pulling the two-prong flasher is the only way to disconnect them...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...