Shock help requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock help requested

I have an 1100e. I am vertically (among other things) challenged and ride 1 up. I read tons of threads about lowering the bike by using shorter shocks. I jumped on a pair of 11.5 inchers from a Harley and found a low profile seat so I can pretty near sit flat footed at a stop. The rub is I have to put my teeth in my pocket when I ride. I have no shock absorption going on. I even wacked an inch of my stock springs and used them, to no avail. I could go back to 12 inchers and wear platform boots I guess, but I would rather ask for some advice first. If you please, I'd appreciate it.
    Gunnery Sergeant, USMC (Retired), (A gung ho, lifer, Devil Dog) Semper Fidelis
    XS1100E, 11.5" XV1100 shocks, "no name" 4 into 2 headers and turn out mufflers, stock air box, 140 mains, spade type fuse block, volt meter, LED conversion on running/turn/brake/tail lights, aux front driving and running light bar, 850 FD swap, Chrysler electronic VR. Ugly as a monkey's butt - runs like a scalded ape (WHEN IT RUNS)

Try a set of XJ air shocks. I put a set on my SH, and they are much more comfortable for the ride. I also noted when I parked the stock SG I recently bought next to the SH that there is a notable height difference.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Thanks DGXER. Is there a particular year or model I should look for. For instance there are some 750 and below on EBay but no 1100 listed.
      XS1100E, 11.5" XV1100 shocks, "no name" 4 into 2 headers and turn out mufflers, stock air box, 140 mains, spade type fuse block, volt meter, LED conversion on running/turn/brake/tail lights, aux front driving and running light bar, 850 FD swap, Chrysler electronic VR. Ugly as a monkey's butt - runs like a scalded ape (WHEN IT RUNS)

Comment

That's a common complaint on shorter shocks. Reduce the length, reduce the shock travel. Less travel, the shock builder usually increases the spring rate to prevent bottoming so you get a hard ride. I will note that if the Harley shocks you used were OEM, they're notoriously known for bottoming out, even when new. Most owners switch to Progressive shocks, that while curing the bottoming, do ride a bit 'hard'. Cutting coils doesn't work, as you found out....

XJ units are a good choice (and look for the '82-84 1100 versions), but not all that easy to find in good condition. There are several other things you can do though. Some owners have 'thinned' the seat padding to reduce seat height by up to 1.5" (Harley used this trick on their 'Hugger' Sportsters), you can swap from your 'standard' 17" rear wheel to the smaller Special 16" rear wheel to gain about 1/2", and you can lower the front of the bike by up to 2". You can get part of this in the forks by sliding the fork tubes up in the trees, and the rest by doubling up on the rebound springs inside the forks.

Remember that lowering the bike will reduce cornering clearance, so adjust your riding style appropriately....
        Last edited by crazy steve; 12-19-2012, 12:53 PM.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Sorry, I missed that you have already done the lower seat...

But the other stuff still applies, so you might give those a look. I'll also note that the XJ shocks are rebuildable (unlike most shocks) so finding a 'perfect' pair isn't a requirement. Look in the 'repairs' forum for details....

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Thanks a lot for the response Crazy Steve. The current height is is fine. I seldom drag pegs in cornering, and the handling is fine. My problem isn't with bottoming out, it is no give at all. I cut the softer stock Yam springs and put them on the HD shocks==still no give. NexI think I will remove the springs all together. I will probably find that the shocks won't rebound without the spring so I will take a shock and tour the local (45 mi away) bike recycle yard for softer springs. I like the idea of being able to rebuild shocks so if I find the shocks you recommended I'll try them instead. I have all winter to resolve the problem. Thanks again for the input.

Comment

You have to have the springs; the inside part of the shock is merely the damper. The springs are what actually supports the weight. One thing to remember is that cutting springs increases the spring rate, making them stiffer; DAMHIKIJK....

Short shocks for lowering and a smooth ride are usually mutually exclusive goals.... Good luck!

'82 XJ rebuild project
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

When you have the springs off, check to make sure the shocks are not binding and travel smoothly. I have had one go bad on me and display the same symtoms you are having, kind of like riding a hard tail. You should be able to find a new set of Monza type aftermarket shocks in 11.5" with softer springs from JCW or MikesXS for about $100.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Another avenue to explore may be the 82' - 86' ish Yamaha Secas and 550 XJ's. Smaller lighter bikes typically have smaller softer springs. I'm starting to find that many of those parts are interchangeable with XS, XJ 11s. You could even look towards the older smaller cc dual sport and dirt bikes with dual rear shocks. Those are guaranteed to be softer.
                  Last edited by Yard Dogg; 12-19-2012, 05:14 PM.
                  "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

I'll throw one other thought out here; you mention 'having shocks from a Harley', I wonder if they're actually HD shocks or may not be a set of Progressive shocks. A lot of these show up 'lightly used' as owners buy them and don't like the stiff ride, but won't spend time tuning them. And depending on which HD model they're for it can make a big difference in the spring rate. If they are Progressive shocks, the springs can be changed. A call to them (knowing the total bike weight with you on it, and the same for the rear wheel only) might turn up a better choice.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

You guys are the greatest. Thanks for the info. I did not know what cutting the springs would do but they were sort of extra so I thought I'd give it a try. Hardtail is exactly how it feels. In fact, on my second to last ride I hit a bump and broke the weld on my fairing bracket. I used a ratchet strap to hold it until I got home. I took my last ride of the season on that same road after I fixed the bracket. These old country roads are going to be the death of my bike.

Crazy Steve what the heck is "DAMHIKIJK"? Has any one given thought to creating a Sticky of codes so us newbies don't have to ask? LOL

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1011

'82 XJ rebuild project
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Ask and you shall receive! LOL
                          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

I know. RTFW.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                              I'll throw one other thought out here; you mention 'having shocks from a Harley', I wonder if they're actually HD shocks or may not be a set of Progressive shocks. A lot of these show up 'lightly used' as owners buy them and don't like the stiff ride, but won't spend time tuning them. And depending on which HD model they're for it can make a big difference in the spring rate. If they are Progressive shocks, the springs can be changed. A call to them (knowing the total bike weight with you on it, and the same for the rear wheel only) might turn up a better choice.
                              One other thing that some folks don't give thought to, is that some of the Harley shocks are mounted on a greater angle off plumb than the XS shocks, which means that the springs are stiffer, to support the weight, given the less than optimum angle.
                              When mounted on the XS, they are way stiffer than they need to be. JAT

CZ

Comment

Working...
                              X