1979 Standard tank issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 Standard tank issues

My standard tank is finished and I've been trying to find a suitable replacement. I found another standard one locally that I purchased but it wound up having too much rust

There are a few on ebay that are in great condition, but they're all special tanks. Searching on here, I see they're basically swappable, but there seems to be conflicting info about the petcocks? Is there any reason I can't reuse my standard petcocks on a special tank? Any other issues I might run into making this swap?

Originally posted by JScro View Post
    ...There are a few on ebay that are in great condition, but they're all special tanks. Searching on here, I see they're basically swappable, but there seems to be conflicting info about the petcocks? Is there any reason I can't reuse my standard petcocks on a special tank? Any other issues I might run into making this swap?
    The standard and special petcocks don't interchange as the mounting holes are in different places, so you have to have matching bits. If you want the vacuum fuel shut-off feature, you'll also need the 'octy' and the extra plumbing as installed on the Specials.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

My standard tank is finished and I've been trying to find a suitable replacement. I found another standard one locally that I purchased but it wound up having too much rust

There are a few on ebay that are in great condition, but they're all special tanks. Searching on here, I see they're basically swappable, but there seems to be conflicting info about the petcocks? Is there any reason I can't reuse my standard petcocks on a special tank? Any other issues I might run into making this swap?
      Hi Jeff,
      you'll need a Special tank that's complete with it's own non-swappable gas cap and fuel taps.
      But the Devil is in the details.
      The Standard tank's fuel level sender won't work. Yes, it'll fit in the hole but the Special's sender hole is on the other side of the tank tunnel so the Standard's sender will only go in upside down or backwards.
      And the Special's thermistor sender ain't compatible with the Standard's gas gauge.
      So swapping tanks IS doable but you loose the gas gauge and a gallon of fuel capacity.
      Some say the Special tank looks better but I reckon you'll hate how it looks in the first ten yards you push the bike towards the next gas station.
      Me, I'd keep looking for another Standard tank.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

You know I didn't like to standard tanks at first, but now I think they're pretty cool cause I'm starting to dig the cafe vibe. I still hate the square gauges on the standards though, sorry. I'd keep looking for a standard tank too. Besides, you should never build a bike for others, build it the way you like it.
        "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Whats your definition of finished ? Lots of ways to deal with tank issues. I have a couple of tanks with a lot of rust in my spares. Never considered them as finished. Just a job to do.
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

Hi Jeff,
            something I forgot to say in my last post. Although if you mount a Special tank you will have to use it's own raised filler cap because the Standard's filler cap is completely different; the little lock module the key fits in can be removed, is common to both caps and it CAN be swapped so you can still use the same key.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

My preference is to use a standard tank, but I can't seem to find one that isn't just a complete piece of crap. Honestly, if there is other work involved in the special tank swap, I think I'll just keep looking for a standard.

As always I appreciate the info! I almost pulled the trigger on a special tank on ebay, glad I decided to ask the experts first.

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
                Whats your definition of finished ? Lots of ways to deal with tank issues. I have a couple of tanks with a lot of rust in my spares. Never considered them as finished. Just a job to do.
                It's just got a few pretty large holes in the bottom of it that the previous owner filled with JB Weld. Honestly, it held up for the 10k that I've been on the bike, so kudos to that dude for some MacGyver ****.

I can go the welding, sanding, painting route. But my bike has been down for 2 months now, and the idea of just putting on a tank that's ready to go is pretty appealing at the moment. It's also cheaper... if i could just find a damn tank.

Comment

Couple options, Evaporust or Metal Rescue could fix the corrosion issue in the rusty tank. A tank liner like Caswell will seal over the JB Weld hole repairs and can give you lots of miles.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

My preference is to use a standard tank, but I can't seem to find one that isn't just a complete piece of crap. Honestly, if there is other work involved in the special tank swap, I think I'll just keep looking for a standard.
                    As always I appreciate the info! I almost pulled the trigger on a special tank on ebay, glad I decided to ask the experts first.
                    Hi Jeff,
                    if the plastic fix still works or even if you have to re-do it, why not simply keep riding as you keep looking for a replacement?
                    BTW there's no effort involved to bolt a Special tank on a Standard.
                    Tank has to be complete with it's stock filler cap, gas taps and fuel level senser.
                    (or a blanking plate, the thermistor is incompatible with the Standard's fuel gauge)
                    You gotta live with a gallon less fuel capacity and no fuel gauge, is all.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                    X