Steer head removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steer head removal

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere that could answer my question, but I couldn't find it.

I needed to replace my fork seals and noticed that the steer head is very rusty and that the bearings don't feel so hot when turned by hand. So I pulled the bolt and top of the head. Then I get to the "spanner" nut. Does anyone have a method to remove this? Or where I can purchase a spanner wrench for this. Tried a screwdriver and hammer and nothing.

Figure I'll sand blast and paint the exterior and repack with grease.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    1979 XS1100 SF
    1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
    1981 KZ650CSR
    2006 VTX 1300C
    1986 Radian 600

There's two nuts there, not just one, so you need to get the top 'locknut' loose before you can remove the bottom tree. The 'spanner' wrenches are available various places, but most just use a chisel/hammer to loosen these. A screwdriver has too much 'bounce' in the handle when you hit it....
    Last edited by crazy steve; 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

That will bugger-up the nut and make it look bad (don't ask how I know!)
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
      03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Thanks guys,
        I guess I'll try a chisel tonight. I know there are two, it's quite obvious I guess.
        1979 XS1100 SF
        1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
        1981 KZ650CSR
        2006 VTX 1300C
        1986 Radian 600

Comment

the bearings don't feel so hot when turned by hand
          Then they should be replaced.
          Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

I just use a Adjustable Channel Lock type pliers to remove the nuts.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

If you have one of THESE anyway, I use this with a crescent wrench around the handle to turn those lock nuts.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by conquest87tsi View Post
                I'm sure there is a thread somewhere that could answer my question, but I couldn't find it.

I needed to replace my fork seals and noticed that the steer head is very rusty and that the bearings don't feel so hot when turned by hand. So I pulled the bolt and top of the head. Then I get to the "spanner" nut. Does anyone have a method to remove this? Or where I can purchase a spanner wrench for this. Tried a screwdriver and hammer and nothing.

Figure I'll sand blast and paint the exterior and repack with grease.
                Thanks in advance for any help.
                Hi Shane,
                McMaster-Carr/hand tools/spanner wrench.
                Or punch the ring nuts loose with a hammer and cold chisel if you don't mind damaging the notches. If you do let your inner bodger loose on the job you can file the damage smooth again to re-assemble.
                The head races just might be OK after you have washed all the dried up grease out of them.
                Or they might be hooped. Be prepared to replace them.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Use a punch not a chisel, read chapter 5
                  pages 14, 15 of the manual
                  stem fitting ring nuts 1.0-1.2 m-kg (7.2-8.7 ft.lb.)
                  pinch bolt 2.0 m-kg (14.5 ft-lb)
                  steering stem bolt 8.5 m-kg (61.5 ft-lb)
                  where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
                  Iowa the Beautiful Land 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    The head races just might be OK after you have washed all the dried up grease out of them.
                    Or they might be hooped. Be prepared to replace them.
                    They are cheap! If you have them out just replace them!
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

If you can't punch it loose, then spray it with some PB Blaster, wrap a few zip ties around it to protect the metal, then put the channel locks or a pipe wrench to it. That'll get it.
                      "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

To remove the head of a steer one simply has to ask a local rancher.
                        Just kidding a bit. I agree if the bearings feel notchy etc and you have them out, then if you can afford the 20-30 bucks for the set then by all means replace them. It is sometimes a pain in the arse to get the bottom race out but while you have it apart that far, it only makes sense.
                        Riding while having steering head bearing issues is dangerous!
                        2-79 XS1100 SF
                        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

For those who are going to use the punch and hammer loosening method on the pinch nuts, here is a suggestion.
                          Since the intended action is to jar the two nuts apart, and they are both clamped to the threads, any unscrewing of the top will only turn them both, due to surface friction on their mated faces. So, you need some help.
                          Get TWO punches, flat faced, and two hammers, and someone to hold a punch on the lower nut, using the biggest hammer backing it up, to resist the unscrewing of said nut, (you want the punch to come in from the top left side, looking down on it), and using the other hammer and punch, you want to try to unscrew the top nut. Place the top punch opposing the bottom one, coming in from the right top. You want the two punches with their faces facing each other, one on the top nut, and one on the bottom nut. The punch on the lower nut, backed up by the hammer, will keep it from unscrewing when the top nut is wacked. A good sharp blow. Or two.
                          Once you break the surface friction between the two nuts, it's child play
                          And don't quote me, but wasn't the adjusting spanner to adjust the shock springs also made to fit the steering head nuts?
                          And every body still has those in the plastic tool pouch, right?
                          My stock shocked bike is in distant storage, or I would go look at the relative sizes, and spare my self the embarassment of being wrong.

Oh well, CZ
                          Last edited by CaptonZap; 12-19-2012, 09:01 PM.

Comment

If your lucky then hopefully two of the notches will be positioned close enough that you can wedge a screwdriver down in both of them and simply pull the screwdriver to separate the 2 lock nuts. It happened that way on my Midnight.
                            "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Has anyone tried to use a length of pipe and cut notches (like the top of a castle) to fashion a tool for this? I think there is something in the Clymers manual for that.
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                              03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Working...
                              X