Sandblasting and painting rear swing arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandblasting and painting rear swing arm

Hey guys I'm new to the community and this is my first XS11. I picked up the bike for just under $400 and now I need to clean it up and get it road worthy. I've been tearing the bike down to get parts cleaned, fixed and replaced. It's been a fun process so far!

One of the first things I noticed on the bike is the old battery was connected to a drain hose that drained right on to the rear swing arm. So after nearly 35 years of battery acid draining on to it the swing arm is somewhat corroded and rusted. I've pulled it off and now I'm considering having it sandblasted and repainted or powedercoated.

My question is what do I need to do to prep it so the sandblasting process doesn't gum up the drive shaft?
    78 E

Take the driveshaft out of the swingarm before powdercoating. It is held into the U-joint with a spring clip, just pry it out.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

When I did mine I pulled everything out scraped and cleaned as much grease as possible out then took my preasure washer and cleaned it. I then soaked it in a deep bucket mix water and ZED rust cleaner for 3 days. I then got plugs from the hardware store and a thick piece of rubber that i taped over end so sand would not get in it and blasted the paint down to bare metal. I got a can of Dupont etching primer sprayed the alluminum completely sanded and then painted with high quality enamel. I then left it in a warm oven for 3 hrs to cure it.
      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
      1980 G Silverbird
      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
      1198 Overbore kit
      Grizzly 660 ACCT
      Barnett Clutch Springs
      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
      122.5 Main Jets
      ACCT Mod
      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
      Antivibe Bar ends
      Rear trunk add-on
      http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

If you can have it done powder coat it! That stuff is durable! Second best would be painted- real automotive paint shot from a gun. Third best/least best is PJ1 epoxy paint. Powder coat is the best though.

Comment

Swing Arm

It is better to have it blasted with glass bead rather than sand. Sand, even though it appears to clean well, also causes the steel to rust. Glass bead will not cause rust and is not so aggressive to the surface as sand is.

MP
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Whatever you do, make sure you cover/protect the swingarm bearing races and the flat flange surface where the final drive attaches.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Just a note that if you choose to powder coat it then it must be really clean. They heat it to something like 450 degrees F so any oil or grease not cleaned will heat up and run which will cause no end of grief to the powder coating guys and affect your finished job.
              2-79 XS1100 SF
              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

That's true about powder, although nearly all powder shops will make sure the part is clean by sandblasting as that also gives an excellent 'tooth' for the powder to grip. But unless you tell them to mask/protect a spot, sometimes they won't and cured powder isn't easy to remove and sandblasted bearing races are now junk....

I'll note that when I have parts commercially coated, I 'fixture' everything critical so little or no masking is needed. That can save you a fair amount of money...
                Last edited by crazy steve; 12-17-2012, 08:20 PM.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

+1 on what you say Steve about the bearing races and preparing fixtures etc. Thing is that not all powder coating places are the same and while some will blast everything and clean it others will just do the visible stuff. If someone in the past 35 yrs or so filled the driveshaft tube full of grease with that useless zerk the powder coaters may not know it is full of old dried grease. I was trying to point out the same as you that any prep would be beneficial especially cleaning.
                  The shop I frequently use will allow me to blast my own parts (even if I am only taking them home to paint) with their equipment as long as it is clean. They inspect it before letting me do my own stuff to be sure their equip stays clean. They offer both sand and glass bead blasting for my own use as well. Costs about a buck a minute but for parts that will not fit in my own blaster it is cheap.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                    ...for parts that will not fit in my own blaster it is cheap.
                    If you have a blast cabinet, invest in a powder gun. It'll save you a ton of money and you can better control the finished product. The only stuff I take in is whatever won't fit in my free household oven.

Powder is cheaper than paint....

'82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Great advise guys. Much appreciated! The shop I'm taking it to is one of the best in town when it comes to quality and care so I'm sure they'll do a great job. I'll make sure to clean it as well as I can and then let them know about the bearings and to be careful there in particular. Thanks again.
                      78 E

Comment

definitely powdercoating is the way to go... i made the mistake of not masking certain stuff off and sure paid for it... dremel wire wheel and aircraft stripper... stubborn sh*t it is...

another idea i would like to see is tractor enamel... i seen a 4x4 mag where somebody used it as an auto finish due to its durability....
                        Chris
                        twitter.com/thechrisdemon -- instagram.com/chrisdemon

2012 HD FXDC -- bone stock... for now...

1980 XS1100 Special --
                        under restoration for brother

2010 HD XL1200 -- good riddance...

1981 KZ650 CSR -- Found a good/new Home

1980 CX500 -- livin' it up in FL

Comment

Working...
                        X